Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Experiencing "trail" effect

Steven547

Ok...just bought a new CPU. High end processor, ATI Vid card 5870 with 1gb dedicated mem. However, I'm still experiencing the "trail" effect when I move a model. For example, there is a "Chewbacca" model with hair all over his body. When I move him in the choreography mode, it leaves a bunch of "lines" or trails of his hair.

What I did notice, is if I shrink the image, the trails disappear, at least until I move the model again. Anyone have this issue or know how to fix it? I thought it was my CPU, but now I'm thinking it's some setting...? Hopefully the upload of the image will help...

post-9035-1279857617_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you. I'll have to try that. Do you think screen resolution has something to do with it as well?

I may be very wrong here, however, since hair (as a particle system) is, I think, calculated

rather than statically attached to a model, it can't just move with the model. Otherwise, AM

would have to be constantly calculating hair and other particle when a model was selected or

being moved, which would get even more complicated when dynamics are used. It at least

appears to be thus, regardless of hair density or use/non-use of dynamics. So I doubt screen

resolution or window size would make a difference.

Lowering the real-time density wont change that, but will help manage the amount of

"lines" and time if you have a lot of hair without changing the final render.

That is if you want/need to see it in non-render modes.

Just remember, the space bar is your friend with hairy models... :)

Hope that helps...