Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Photo of New York converted to Anaglyph 3D

Hello friends

I felt like doing some experimenting the other day.

I had a photo of New York taken from the Empire State building

The photo is taken by a friend and colleague of me, Johanna Vaart

So, I wanted to see if I was able to convert the photo to an anaglyph using A:M. First I used PFHoe, to "track" the photo, by doing so I got the camera position and angle, then I started to create simple proxymodels and placed them accordingly with the photo. When done I made a depthmap using fog. In PhotoShop I used the depthmap as a displacementmap to skew the red channel to the left and green and blue channel to the right. I also made a "tilt-shift miniature" version of the photo

Grab your red-cyan glasses and take a look :) I have also uploaded the wireframe and depthmap

Original Photo taken by Johanna Vaart:

ny_original_agepbiz.JPG

Wireframe:

ny_wire_agepbiz.jpg

Depth Map:

ny_depth_agepbiz.jpg

Anaglyph:

ny_anaglyph_agepbiz.jpg

Tilt-Shift Miniature:

ny_tiltshift_agepbiz.jpg

*edit*

added a quick animation test:

ny_animation_000.mp4

Best regards

Stian

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for the comments guys!

The problem with anaglyphys is that no matter how hard I try to see around that corner it always just eludes me. ;)
Are you sure about that? ;) I finally figured out a way to do camera mapping. This is a quick test, with a few bugs. Still using the same photo. Keep your glasses on. Very rough camera animation

ny_animation_000.mp4

Thanks!

Whoooa! Is that the image projected(applied) onto the geometry and then rendered in stereoscope? Awesome...! (work on that camera move though...)
Yup. And it only took a couple of seconds to render each frame :) Yeah, very bad camera movement, it was quick and dirty. I may redo it later

Quicktime refuses to play the movie for me! What codec did you use, Stian? I have the latest version of QT but perhaps I am missing a codec.
That is strange. Even my Nokia phone is able to play this clip without any problems. It is MPEG-4 video in an mp4 container. 3072kbps

• Hash Fellow

Wonderful work!

I've seen things like that in "making-of" articles on the Star Wars prequels and this looks just as good. I guess they call it "3D matte painting"

Very convincing effect!

Was the depth map needed to make the animation?

You ought to post that on the 3D Photography Forum where I sometimes post my 3D creations.

Member photos>video

Quicktime refuses to play the movie for me!

Windows media player will play it

Was the depth map needed to make the animation?
No, I just stamped the photo on the model from the cameras point of view. Then I activated "Global Color" in the choreography, but did not set any value ion Ambiance Occlusion, This will show the decal as it is, no shadows. Also turned off all settings on the camera except "Final" and "Stereoscopic"

• 5 weeks later...