Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Building Your First Rig: Part 2

A:M Films

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys :)

The audio starts to drift quite a bit after around the 30 minute mark, and I was hoping it was still intelligible after that point.

So I did this to test out Hypercam2, which is now free, and doesn't embed a "Made with Hypercam" image in the video. (Hypercam 3 still costs money)

I captured one clip at 10fps and another at 5fps. The audio syncs better at 10fps and I did not see much, if any, increase in file size.

For presentations under 30minutes in length, I think Hypercam 2 is a great choice.

I also tested various video codecs, since Hypercam compresses the video in real time. (Although you can't recompress the audio in Hypercam, you can set mono/stereo, KHz and bit rate. I used mono, 16KHz, 92Kb/sec)

By far, the best video quality/compression ratio came from x264, which is ever so slightly different from Apple's h264.

http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

This codec gave MUCH smaller file sizes than Apple's h264 or Xvid or anything else I tried, while maintaining excellent quality. It has a dazzling array of configuration options, but I just left them all at the defaults except I set Multithreading to the number of cores in my cpu.

Hypercam recognized the codec without a problem.

In order to get Quicktime to play the movies however, I had to open them in SUPER and export to mov format, which took about 5min for a 95MB video.

This was a very nice tutorial. Thank you very much for making it.

Edit: By the way, the audio becomes out of sync with the video. It's really quite a shame because it is a great tutorial with important information. However the lag between the audio and video gets so confusing.

Holmes: Is there a simple way to fix it? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I might try to futz with it one day, but at the moment, I'm sorry to say it isn't a priority.

Thanks for the reply Holmes. I understand. I hope that the things that are keeping you busy are Animation Master related! I look forward to seeing more of your work and any other tutorials you may make in the future.

Hmmm. I just wondered. What if one just time stretched the audio in Premiere or After Effects to help make it match? If you want me to do it for you, I could give it a shot if you are too busy and want to send me the movie file.

Thanks again for the great tutorial on rigging.

Cheers.