Hash, Inc. Forums

Die Fly!

So after being deeply annoyed by some houseflies, I came up with this idea for a short animated piece about a dude trying to kill this one housefly. So I'm going ahead with it as a minor side project. So here are the two characters, my PC connected to the scanner is currently indisposed so I use my laptop webcam to take an picture of the drawings, so I'm sorry for the low res, the high res ones will be posted later

post-9859-1279564444_thumb.jpg

post-9859-1279564462_thumb.jpg

So, I'm having some problems building the dude character. I thought it was gonna be easier building a cartoon character, guess I was wrong. This is what I ended up with which is nothing like the picture:

post-9859-1279728199_thumb.png

That looks like a pretty decent start to me. Most cartoon dudes seem to have funny noses. Either really big ones, or they are round, like squashed ping pong balls. You can also add to the cartoony look by making the eyes larger than normal. It may help if you give him a more prominent chin. And his head should start curving inward just below his ear. It looks like you have the skull extending much farther down.

yeah, what I think I'm basically gonna do is model it like I would a realistic face, except make it much simpler so that it fits the sketch of him. I tried a different method and it just caused the whole shape of his head to be too wonky, even for a cartoon

Here's the dude, however, I am having one interesting problem. He loads and renders fine in the modeling view, but, when I go to add him to a chor, if I'm in Shaded or Wire/Shaded mode, the program crashes. If I go to render him from the chor, the program crashes. I have been able to reproduce this consistently. But like I said, Modeling view is fine.

post-9859-1279820878_thumb.png

Well, I have most of the rig done. Fortunately I don't have to be overly fussy as the toon render seems to remove a lot of the blemishes that would otherwise be apparent. Unfortunately the mirrorbones didn't quite work properly and so I have to manually assign CPs to the majority of the left side :(

well, this makes me go back to suspecting it's just the instability of AM on my laptop. I wonder if I upgraded to OSX 6.0 or higher if that would help. Currently I'm at OSX 10.5.8 which has some issues with it in general regarding compatibility of software

You may want to check your textures first, there might be the chance a texture is corrupt causing the crash and not the model. When we open it we have to ignore the missing textures since you didn't include them.

Try consolidating it and post a zip and we can see if that is the issue.