Hash, Inc. Forums

Constraint problem

jweinrub

Hello everyone!

I have a question, does anyone why whenever I use a translate and a orient constraint object on another object in a choreography file, but once you import that choregraphy file onto another, you have to constrain the object again?

Another question I have is that I just added a translate and orient contraints from an object to a hand of a character and now the objects aren't attached to the hand. is there a way I can fix them without re-constraining them?

thanks,

J.w.

• Hash Fellow
I have a question, does anyone why whenever I use a translate and a orient constraint object on another object in a choreography file, but once you import that choregraphy file onto another, you have to constrain the object again?

Briefly, these things typically have to do with the "path" to the target being not quite right after the import. You can fix this in a text editor if you can ascertain the correct and replace it over the incorrect path. Compare that path in the file before the import and in the file after.

Of course, you saved a new version and reloaded after that import.

Another question I have is that I just added a translate and orient contraints from an object to a hand of a character and now the objects aren't attached to the hand. is there a way I can fix them without re-constraining them?

more detail would be needed about what is new "now".

• Hash Fellow

I just made a simple test of a ball constrained to a bone in a character. When I imported that chor into another chor the constraint survived fine.

Something else is going wrong in your situation.

Why are you importing a chor into another chor?

• 1 year later...

The reason why I was doing that so I don't have to constrain a weapon into each character again and again and again everytime. I rather just have the gun in the character's hand with the constraint on them and that is it when I get the animation started.

I just made a simple test of a ball constrained to a bone in a character. When I imported that chor into another chor the constraint survived fine.

Something else is going wrong in your situation.

Why are you importing a chor into another chor?

• Hash Fellow

Sounds like you want to use "Action objects"

Create a new action for your character and drag the "weapon" into the action. then do the contraint in the action.

Later you can drop this action on your character in a chor and that will do the constraint and bring in the weapon too.

Hey jweinrub, something that I find often happens is when I create a constraint, it is sometimes created with enforcement set to 0%. Look in the PWS when the constraint is selected and be sure the enforcement is at 100%. Do this with the Animate button off, or do it at frame zero, otherwise you'll set a keyframe on the constraint.