Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rigging the smurf

urbssenator

Hello

I'm leaving the newbies forum to get help here for rigging the smurf. I've been following exactly the steps of the required installation. I placed and scaled the bones. Before going further wirh assignation of the control points, can somebody say me if my work is correct till now?

Thanks for your help

Remy

Smurf_Rig.mdl

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

I'm not well versed in that rig, but my first suggestion woudl be to place the origin of the Foot Placer bones closer to the physical heel so the movement of the foot on the ground will be easier to animate.

HeelBone.jpg

Your character doesn't really have a sharp heel point so whatever you choose will be a bit of a compromise. What you have might the best spot, but it's something to keep in mind.

I don't know it setting up the arm and legs bones not-straight is a problem with this rig.

hello

Going on with the smurf, I 've been beginnig to affect the control points and I get the following problems

I started a new action

1 - In the "bones" window, the arms are correctly placedn but there are not in the action window

2 - Moving the "right foot control placer" has no effect on the foot

In regard of Robby's foot, I do'nt get the "right foot control".

I'm surely missing something. What have I to do?

Thanks for help

Remy

post-13012-1277718904_thumb.jpg

post-13012-1277718919_thumb.jpg

Smurf_Rig.mdl

• Hash Fellow
By sample I don't see the controls for the feet and the arms / hands.

Which do you not see? I loaded it and was able to move the arms and legs.

Turn on the Arm IK and Leg IK controls if you want to pose with IK.

Turn ON "Hide Extra bones" to hide the stuff you shouldn't be seeing.

First, you should assign all the control points to bones and do Control Point Weights and/or Fan Bones before you go any further. The rig controls will not appear to work if the control points in the mesh are not assigned to any bones.

Next:

"Thumb A" bone begins in the hand, a couple centimeters from the wrist and extends to the first knuckle. The other two Thumb bones are placed like the Finger bones. Z Rotation is variable. The roll handles for the thumb bones must point in whatever direction the thumb is intended to curl. Usually, that's about 45 degrees."

For your model, you might try setting the Z rotation for each of the thumb bones to 40/-40 degrees. The left thumb bones, 40 degrees. The right thumb bones, -40 degrees.

It works best if, from the Top View, all the thumb bones in one hand form a straight line. See the picture on page 7 in the installation instructions.

Also, your "Carpal" bones in the hands do not look like the pictures in the installation instructions. (Page 7).

Next:

Follow the directions on page 10 of the installation instructions.

After you do that. Open the exported model in A:M and hide the "Body Controls" null in the model so you do not accidentally select it when you are animating.

Hope that helps :)

• 5 weeks later...
First, you should assign all the control points to bones and do Control Point Weights and/or Fan Bones before you go any further. The rig controls will not appear to work if the control points in the mesh are not assigned to any bones.

Coming back with the smurf...

Can you indicate me a nice tutorial explaining "fan" bones, "cogs" and so on?

thank you

Remy

Coming back with the smurf...

Can you indicate me a nice tutorial explaining "fan" bones, "cogs" and so on?

thank you

Remy

The COGS tutorial should be here...I can't get the page to load at the moment. I'm not sure if that tutorial is still available for sale or not though.

Barry Zundel has some tutorials that you might find helpful...here.

Matthew Krick has some tutorials here.

Here is a quick explanation of fan bones.

Holmes made two rigging tutorials recently...they are here and here.

Hope that helps, Remy.