Hash, Inc. Forums

iPhone 4 Illustration

Hi guys

I wanted to recreate the metal material seen on the official iPhone 4 illustrations. While testing, I decided to model the whole phone. I did not manage to get the materials 100% correct, but I am satisfied with the result. Let me know what you think.

Best regards

Stian

iphone_000.jpg iphone_001.jpg

iphone_002.jpg

I honestly think I could touch that...it's like right there in front of me, but my dang monitor always seems to be in the way and I can't grab it!

If you don't understand that, essentially I've just said, great job, looks real!

Thank you guys!

No environment maps, just four luminaries strategically placed around in the choreography (luminaries are just simple plains with HDR EXR's decaled to them to appear bright white for reflections). Soft reflections on the metal material. The background gradient is simply an gradient image set to front project target on the ground. Rendered using AO

iphone_chor.jpg

Looks terrific - very clever with the luminaires to get specular highlights without lights, & using soft reflections and AO. I must try this.

Was it trial and error to determine the placement of the luminaires? or something else ? I notice on the first image (left iphone) I see a line. Is that from the edge of luminaire? It is a little confusing. Did you try a kleig that ONLY has spec ON and not find it satisfactory?

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice images.

(luminaries are just simple plains with HDR EXR's decaled to them to appear bright white for reflections).

Question: what exactly is an HDR EXR and how do you make one to use as a decal? (I am assuming it is brighter than an 8bit image, but how do you make it?

The background gradient is simply an gradient image set to front project target on the ground.

Another question: What is a front project target?

Thanks!

Very nice images.

(luminaries are just simple plains with HDR EXR's decaled to them to appear bright white for reflections).

Question: what exactly is an HDR EXR and how do you make one to use as a decal? (I am assuming it is brighter than an 8bit image, but how do you make it?

The background gradient is simply an gradient image set to front project target on the ground.

Another question: What is a front project target?

Thanks!

Quite complex topic...

A TGA-file has 8bits per Channel (Red = 8 bit, Green = 8bit, Blue = 8bits, Alpha = 8bits) -> means each can have values from 0-255... So you are limited showing colors and more important brightnesses.

With an EXR-file which has (up to) 32bit per Channel you can save many more colors and more important: "brighter areas than white".

These can not be seen on a normal display, but they can be used to calculate different effects. You can use a 32bit-image and set the exposure in a way, that even in the darkest shadow there are still elements visible which would not even have been captured with a 8bit-format.

Additional to that, an EXR-file can handle "layers" which are called buffers in an EXR.

These can in A:M for example store only the shadow of the rendered image, or the effect of a specific light. You are able to manipulate these each by itself and like that you can "change the lightening" in the rendered image without re-rendering. There are other buffers too, which can be handy.

It is harder to create such a file so. One way is to create three images (or more) from a camera (the camera need to be at the exact same position) with different exposure-settings. So ony very bright, one very dark and one looking good for your eyes. Combining them will give you a High Dynamic Range-Image (HDR). Saving this one as an EXR and you are done.

See you

*Fuchur*