Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zandoriastudios

Dorothy of Oz

Wow! Hey this is our territory. ;) Pretty good cast.

And there's going to be a live action prequel called Oz: The Great and Powerful starring Robert Downey Jr. Oz will be everywhere is a couple of years!

Looks beautiful to me with the little that is revealed (fantastic, appealing vibrant colors in the landscape!). Character sketches look interesting and familiar, not to the original book illustrations but to warm fuzzy old time disneyesque type drawings.

Sounds like it will have plenty of humor, with accomplished well known, beloved comedic voice actors, as well as a great sound track.

And in stereoscopic 3D.

Looks like these guys did their research, and have oodles of MONEY.

Probably will attract the nostalgic old generation (fastest growing population), as well as a new, young (under 10-12) generation. Not sure how it will play to those in-between generations, except for the appeal of 3D. It might (but I doubt) also have some edginess, snarkyiness - but I don't see much evidence of that so far (other than the actors - Short and Akroyd). It looks sweet in a syrupy but yummy, fun way.

Oz will be everywhere is a couple of years!

And has the potential for attracting the kiddies to TWO, SO, MLO who just can't get enough vitamin O in their diet.

And has the potential for attracting the kiddies to TWO, SO, MLO who just can't get enough vitamin O in their diet.

MLO?

MLO = Marvelous Land of Oz

Good luck with that. I'm all Ozzed out.

MLO = Marvelous Land of Oz

Good luck with that. I'm all Ozzed out.

Perhaps I'm misinformed & have misinformed ... wouldn't be the first time, ya know. uh yup.

I am not surprised to hear that people would be feeling Ozzifried.

Rumors are there is something less Ooozey on the horizon.

Rumors are there is something less Ooozey on the horizon.

I've always wanted to see a 3D horror. Something like that would be the perfect Oz antidote ;). Though time is getting tighter these days.

I'm of the opinion that the 1939 "Wizard of Oz" is so firmly established in people's minds that you can't make a successful Oz film with a Dorothy in it without Judy Garland.

And I hear she is pretty much retired.

Looks like folks are realizing there is still a lot of potential in the Oz stories.

The continued success in the theater of 'Wicked' and other Oz franchizes confirms it's staying power.

I agree that whomever takes it on needs to sufficiently break away from the MGM paradym.

As far as the 'Marvelous Land of Oz' or whatever project materializes, I hope we can spend some extra time in preproduction to get the design and story elements syncronized. In preproduction there is a lot of gold to mine.

That is definitely an interesting picture to try a duplicate (to a point using the assets used in TWO and SO) in A:M. The only thing needed would be the gate, for the most part, which Myron should be able to handle.

But, like Ken, Ozzed out.

I'm of the opinion that the 1939 "Wizard of Oz" is so firmly established in people's minds that you can't make a successful Oz film with a Dorothy in it without Judy Garland.

And I hear she is pretty much retired.

Wouldn't be hard to resurrect La Judy with CG. Although I don't think that would fly either.

Unless, of course one were making Ken's 3D horror flick: Zombies of Oz

Unless, of course one were making Ken's 3D horror flick: Zombies of Oz

Hmmmm...

Night of the Living Oz?

Oz Chainsaw Massacre?

The Ozzercist?

Curse of Oz?

The Oz that Wouldn't Die?

but my personal favorite would be ... Chainsaw Bimbos from Oz :D

could always make the sci-fi epic known as Earth-Link Zero.....no.....ok, I'll go back to my box :P

Actually, that reminds me, gotta post some ELZ news

Ooo! Zombie munchkins! How cool! Dorothy needs some ruby red brains to get home. :D Or Dorothy thinks a zombie is a scarecrow and she's all sweetness and light....."Come on Scarecrow, keep up!". He's looming in the background all the time and inevitably changes the course of the story. But no one knows when.

Hey Darkwing....Have you got a script? I'd be interested in browsing through it. No promises though. May be interested in your shorter project.

And a 2-second Google search already comes up with some pre-production art for you. :-)

brains.jpg

Ooo! Zombie munchkins! How cool! Dorothy needs some ruby red brains to get home. :D Or Dorothy thinks a zombie is a scarecrow and she's all sweetness and light....."Come on Scarecrow, keep up!". He's looming in the background all the time and inevitably changes the course of the story. But no one knows when.

Hey Darkwing....Have you got a script? I'd be interested in browsing through it. No promises though. May be interested in your shorter project.

y'know, I think I'll post the script anyways. I know that risks someone stealing it, but I'd at least like for you guys to see what it would have been like

And a 2-second Google search already comes up with some pre-production art for you. :-)

RATZ. Already taken.

Looks like we'll have to go with Holmes's flick "Nude Bimbos With Chainsaws Do Oz" - An oozefest coming to a Theatre near you....

(uh...Did I really say that?...and I'm not about to google it to see if it's already taken)

That's mad!

If i were going to suggest an alternative project for the next A:M Film, I'd suggest adapting some PD sci-fi or adventure novel. Something from Jules Verne or HG Wells or AC Doyle or Burroughs... that sort of vintage.

Something with bug-eyed monsters and other strange creatures and a preposterous vision of space travel or other far out retro-future concept. All the better for animation.

Mmmm....and they'd be Public Domain too. And have a ready made fan base. I'd prefer an original story, but a short would be more apt for that.

y'know, there was an old concept of mine, actually the reason I bought AM in the first place. It was a sci-fi short series thingy that involved a guy (he was actually non-human, but looked human) who's name was Captain Heroic. It originally was supposed to be sort of an homage to like 60s sci-fi. He flew around in some sort of advanced saucer like fighter and he basically was a super-hero in space, fighting against his arch-nemesis, Lordship Goriath. I was like 14 when I made the originals with Anim8or. I had since then sort of made the concept more advanced and less cheesy, but I never followed through with it. If an original sci-fi that is sort of retro-ish is what you want, I could always pull out my old Captain Heroic stuff and let you guys have a look over it and mold it or something

I think it might be nice to have smaller teams work on shorts. Maybe 1 month planning (script and storyboard), 1 month modeling and voice recording, 2 months animating, 1 month post-production. The movie-length ones are a little overwhelming.

More pictures from the animated "Dorothy of Oz". The stuff looks gorgeous, and even though we COULD create this look in A:M, the fact that it is a public domain property means anyone (with more experience, money, and distribution) can too.... It reinforces my opinion that creating ORIGINAL intellectual properties is more worthwhile...

oz_gallery_5_2010_a_p.jpg

oz_gallery_4_2010_a_l.jpg

oz_gallery_2_2010_a_l.jpg

oz_gallery_7_2010_a_l.jpg

oz_gallery_10_2010_a_p.jpg

oz_gallery_11_2010_a_p.jpg

oz_gallery_12_2010_a_p.jpg

Gorgeous. Yummy. Absolutely love the character styling.

I am fascinated by the "teacups" and most especially the "vase/urn gate". They definitely used RS Prussia (or more likely ES Prussia) - an ornate porcelain manufacturer (circa late 1800's-early 1900's) for their reference for the vase gate. I am familiar with the design because I had inherited some ES Prussia pieces. I held onto them for quite some time until ebay convinced me otherwise.

EDIT: The style of the characters is familiar...reminds me of someone who use to frequent this forum?