Hash, Inc. Forums

Multi Dimensional Relationship

Gerry

I've created a MultiD Relationship using Holmes' excellent instructions and tutorial, for the purpose of controlling the opposite movements of the mouth corners in a face rig. It appears to have gone fine, except that when I open the model in an action or chor, the controller null is rotated slightly (though in the rotation settings they're all zeroed) and grows to enormous proportions, i.e., the r, g and b lines that radiate from it are like six feet long. I can post screenshots but I wanted to ask about it first in case there's some generic explanation. I'd also be happy to post the project file.

I'm tempted to just delete the relationship and recreate it from scratch, but if I do that and the problem persists then I'll be stuck. Any suggestions?

I threw together a screen shot showing a modeling window and a chor. Even though the yellow bounding box of the null is squared up, the null itself is rotated. Attempting to rotate it back to a neutral position just messes with the mouth corners.

problem_null_screenshot.jpg

• Hash Fellow
I'm tempted to just delete the relationship and recreate it from scratch, but if I do that and the problem persists then I'll be stuck. Any suggestions?

Of course you can save and experiment and go back to the saved version if it doesn't work.

turn off all the poses in the model and then put the model in an action and turn them on one at a time to see which one is is doing the weirdness.

check the relation ship in the PWS to see if there are some grotesque scale keys for that null.

If I understand what Holmes said about MultiD relationships over here, it's like a Smartskin, in that it's always on and not attached to a pose. So I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that way, Robert. But you're right, I can do a save as and then maybe I'll delete it and start over to see what happens.

• Hash Fellow
If I understand what Holmes said about MultiD relationships over here, it's like a Smartskin, in that it's always on and not attached to a pose. So I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that way, Robert. But you're right, I can do a save as and then maybe I'll delete it and start over to see what happens.

OK. I thought "relationship' might be a pose.

You can still look for unintended channels in the PWS once you identify the SS that is the problem.

Delete your smartskins one at a time and see which one makes things sproing back into place. You may have to make a new test action after every delete to make sure it's not hanging around in the old action.

You can also step thru keys in a smartskin with the > buttons. If you had just the scale filter on it should just step among scale keys. Not sure on the exact wrokflow on that.

Hm, I just deleted the MultiD relationship and rebuilt it. things got a little crashy when I would select the controller null, but eventually by saving at each step I managed to complete the relationship and it was working fine...until I hit save. then the null went wacky exactly like before.

I'll continue to explore this.

EDIT: It seems to be working okay now. All I did different was to close the relationship window before saving, and going very slow.

Sometimes keys are set for a null or bone's "Bone Position" properties (Start, End, Rotate, Length). I don't know how this happens, but when it does, it affects the bone or null like you have described. Maybe check to see if channels were created for any of those properties?

• Hash Fellow
Sometimes keys are set for a null or bone's "Bone Position" properties (Start, End, Rotate, Length). I don't know how this happens, but when it does, it affects the bone or null like you have described. Maybe check to see if channels were created for any of those properties?

I ran into this a few days ago... it had something to do with copy-paste-mirror.

Did you do any copy paste mirroring, Gerry?

They look like these...

boneKeys.png

By the way Mark, I appreciate your offer, but I did in fact get that null fixed. If you want to go over it to see what's what, that's fine, but it's no longer stopping me from proceeding.

I have a separate problem with the TSM rig and the right arm not deforming properly at the elbow. I'll post over in the TSM forum with specifics.