Hash, Inc. Forums

Just a Wooden Sword

I really like the sequence with the roots of the trees but I noticed that in the previous sequence the tree is rendered with a toon outline while this one is not. Do you have any renders of your characters without the toon outlines? I would be interested in seeing how they compare.

Hi Paul,

i didn't have any standard imagies, so i shot these, a toon and standered. Hope this is what you had in mind. The standard is a bit dark, i did not change the lighting between shots.

Hi everyone,

with the next part under way i thought i post a small clip, no voice or music, trying to get mud has been a trip. and I'm using the TECHNOCRANE_Beta_V15_01_25_2010 , this camera is amazing. thanks again to the creaters of this camera.

Do you think you will re shoot other scenes with the "TECHNOCRANE"?

I really like your work...

I wish you still had some books available.

Tony.

• Hash Fellow

Yeah, mud is a tricky notion in CG but I think you're getting it. If you could make it move slower it would look more oozy and thicker.

I like the look of that very first toon-rendered shot. That was very storybook.

Yes, the mud scenes have been troublesome. after rendering mud scenes numerous times, :( and using a DarkSim mud texture, which i could not use any of the reflectivity options, so i went back to a image map, still work' en on it. Thank you Robcat,

Thanks for posting those pics, Kat. I can't make up my mind which I prefer but as you are aiming to reproduce the look of your illustrations I guess the flatter toon renders are going to remain your prefered choice. I'm just not all that keen on the outline of the noses when they are facing the camera and the toon backgrounds tend to lose all of the effect of the bump maps. You seem to be making good progress though with your epic. :)

• Admin

That's some impressive mud Kat!

The storytelling is the thing and you've captured that. If you had the time to add some sticking and dripping effects that would really sell it.

I really like the immediacy of it as the characters along with the viewer hardly have time to think about what is going on before we find ourselves in the thick of it.