Hash, Inc. Forums

composite A:M images

flashawd

Hello - I found this in the forum...

"If you are wanting to composite A:M images over something else, turning on the alpha buffer in your render settings and using alpha channel transparency instead is way better."

The found the "alpha buffer" in the export settings, but where do I find the alpha channel transparency? Do I have to set the camera background a blue-screen color?

Thanks for any help,

Eric

and using alpha channel transparency instead is way better.

I don't know what this means either. As far as I know, there is no "alpha channel transparency" setting.

Just check "Alpha Buffer" and *if you are rendering to a format (such as TGA) that supports alpha channels*, the alpha, or transparency, channel will be created.

Hello - I found this in the forum...

"If you are wanting to composite A:M images over something else, turning on the alpha buffer in your render settings and using alpha channel transparency instead is way better."

The found the "alpha buffer" in the export settings, but where do I find the alpha channel transparency? Do I have to set the camera background a blue-screen color?

Thanks for any help,

Eric

You do not have to do anything special for the camera background color. A:M will make the alpha channel black (or totally transparent) for where the background is not obscured by any models.

If you turn on alpha buffer in A:M (when rendering tga files, qt movies) - you are essentially creating an 8 bit channel in addition to the RGB 8 bit color channels that defines the opacity of each pixel. In A:M the alpha channel will contain white for totally opaque and black for totally transparent.

Try rendering a simple image into tga format with alpha buffer ON - the sky/background color will appear to be black - If you bring that image into any other program that understands alpha channels, ie tga format - you will be able to composite this image with another background.