Hash, Inc. Forums

"Island" Main Character 1

Here is a render of the near completed version of one of my main characters. As previously mentioned it is based on another model (Proog from "Elephant Dreams") but I think it is different enough to not cause anyone any concerns.

char1.jpg

Rendered with a 260 light skylight rig (Yves). Took 3:40 in Win 7 64bit on a Core i5 2.27ghz laptop and 11:34 in OSX on a Core 2 Duo 3.06ghz iMac!

Thoughts/critiques/comments are most welcome.

Cheers

I take it this is the Captain, David? Very nice head! the angle of the jaw seems a little severe in relation to the jowls and cheekbones. You might consider simplifying the forms around that area. but in sum a nice job!

I don't remember if I've responded to your last animatic. I watched it and liked it. If I haven't written I will soon. (believe it or not I'm at the office at 9:00 on a sunday night!)

If you would like to see comparisons between my character and Proog from "Elephant Dreams", jump onto my blog where I have posted comparison pictures (http://www.david-higgins.com/blog).

Yes this is the 'Captain' character. In relation to the design I wanted a very strong jaw but with enough jowl to have age and character - to show wear and tear - which is the next step - the texturing using 3D Painter.

Rigging - well that's a whole other can of worms :)

Cheers

Yes this is the 'Captain' character. In relation to the design I wanted a very strong jaw but with enough jowl to have age and character - to show wear and tear - which is the next step - the texturing using 3D Painter.

Rigging - well that's a whole other can of worms :)

You would probably be better off doing the rigging first, before decaling, unless you don't mind the possibility of having to redo some of it.

You may find that you need to change splines for rigging, which has the possibility of messing with the decals. Also, not knowing which rig you will be installing - and the method you will be using - it is important to remember that if you export from an action during the rigging process - that decals don't always survive the way you intended - and rework/cleanup will be required. There may be other situations that also have problems with decals (can't remember what, however)

Great character - good potential for interesting expressions!