Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Old Man Willies

So I'm slowly making headway with the main character model, Old Man Willies for the short that I hope to finish for a film festival next year. I'm taking baby steps, pushing my knowledge limits and trying to do things right with the models before even attempting to start on the animation. This is a blink test, really intended to see how the hair emitter behaved for the eyelashes. Seems ok. I still have to add hair to the lower eyelash, mustache and beard, then on to face textures and, and and.....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice eye movement there and the eyes look great

Old Man Willies is a Franken model if there ever was one. The eyes from one place...template for the body another...head from Sir Nigel. I did hack and slash, re-spline etc. So I can't take all of the credit.

We'll see how much I've learned as I finish up the rigging and texturing, then move on to the other characters (an old hound doq, some birds, squirrels, rabbits and other sundry denizens of the woods.

Ok, back to a beard test, as a break from cp weighting (what a pain in the A%@!). I tried creating a beard that was nothing but hair. I didn't really like it because I couldn't control the shape. So I went back to a mesh beard with a hair material. This test was to see if the dynamics on the beard mesh, combined with the hair material would behave nicely. This quick render was 30 frames, 4 passes and took roughly 28 secs a frame.

Not looking bad but did you know you can shape/groom hair in a pose.You could make several and use the pose sliders to control it .Just an idea

I know you can groom hair, etc. But there are cases that I can foresee where I'm going to want to control the beard's movement outside of dynamics. So with the mesh I can have a dynamics pose and (hopefully) another pose to enable a null. With hair alone, I can't see where I could say drape the end of his beard over his shoulder and have it stay there.