Hash, Inc. Forums

Lego Minifigs

Hi friends

I have always wanted to model a Lego minifig, so I did this small project while taking a break from other projects. All the textures is done in A:M :)

minifig_all_animation_dof_000.png

Thank you for the comments!

Your render and lighting is very nice. AO, right? How many passes and how long to render? Did you use an actual environment? Would you share a wire of your chor? I'd love to see the whole setup.
Thanks! Just AO. Used a white luminaire to add the reflections, no other environment. I used 25 passes, AO sampling set to only 20%. The rendertime was a bit huge, about 7 hours per frame I think. You can see a wireframe of the setup in the youtube link in the first post :) I did some minor post on the render though, added DOF and minor color adjusting

Thanks for the comments!

7 hours? Did you render that on a Commodore 64? :lol:

WHAT? Do you think I am stupid? I use my Amiga 500 for rendering!

The Luminare is what I was curious about. How big was it and where did you place it?
It really depends on the project, and what looks good. I often have to drag it around in the Chor too see what gives the best reflections. Sometimes it is behind the camera, sometimes I use several of them. In this case it is very big and directly above the ground

legochor.jpg

Very cool :D

I'm glad to see that you're still using those EXR hyper white luminares. Did they ever implement Ambiance values greater than 100% into the surface properties? I think you could cut the render times down a bit by rendering fewer passes, or did you use that many to get rid of the aliased reflections?