Hash, Inc. Forums

merging to objects

Master chief

Ok hopefully pretty simple i have farious block type shapes that are all 50% transperant in a project im working on , is there a way i can have to objects that are say yellow move to the same space but have both the parts that are touching and the parts that are not remain the same 50% transperancy. more or less a block moves through another block of the same type and i dont want you to be able to tell that theres one inside the other

heres is what im working on , im doing a project that involves heat mapping , or testing wireless signal strenght for networks here are 3 heat maps created as basic shapes , i need to create a full maps by merging the 4 ( 3 currently ) but the second image shows the problem

render0.jpg

rend0.jpg

You could try rendering the heat maps merging separately with no transparency added to the models (with alpha buffer set to ON). Then add it as a layer with the color percentage set lower than 100% for the transparency.

• Hash Fellow
i need to create a full maps by merging the 4 ( 3 currently ) but the second image shows the problem

So the 2nd is what you don't want, but I'm still not sure what you do want.

I suppose you want the yellow parts to appear as one contiguous section , but what do you want when red intersects blue for example?

• Hash Fellow

But what happens when yellow intersects with another color? Or with two colors? What happens when red and blue intersect?

Presuming that the colors represent a range of values, I would map that range to a gray scale, average the four gray maps together then re map the result back to the color range.

Are you wanting to be able to animate this or are you just looking for a way to create a final with the 5 colors?

I may be totally off on what you are trying to achieve, but this is my take on the problem:

I am assuming since this is showing signal strength, that the Higher signal (e.g. Blue, green, yellow, orange, red) takes precedence.

-Split each of the three maps into the 5 layers (one for each of the strength colors)

-Make then opaque

-sequence the layers Front to Back ( or Top to Bottom) Blues, Greens, ..., Reds

-Render (or flatten) and save (depends if you are ding this in A:M or a Paint/Image editing program)

-set the transparency

ok if you look at the merged picture you can see that in the yelow zones you can still see the parts of one zone in another theses a good example allmost smack in the middle . i more or less want any color of the same type to appear as one "block" not 3 blocks stuck together

• Hash Fellow

It's still not clear what the exact result you want is.

If you merge those three components, only the section I've highlighted is derived from just yellow parts.

onlyyellow.jpg

Would that be the only yellow result, or would something be yellow if ANY of the sections was yellow? Or do they all get averaged? That's potentially 1x2x3x4x5=120 colors I think.

If they don't get averaged, how are they prioritized, what color beats what color?

And again... do you need to animate these merging together?