Hash, Inc. Forums

Importing models in AM

Malo

Hello!

Importing 3D models from polygons application, 3D scanner, or sculpt application pose many problems in AM.

The high-definition models are too dense to be exploited, others require to be re-examined in the topology

In reality it was better and faster when it is rethinking the topology in AM as a whole (patches, hooks, UV, joints, etc ....).

Hence the usefulness of rotoscope, it is possible to import 3D informations:

- By drawings (which requires a good knowledge of perspectiv)

02.jpg

- With photos (with some imperfections because of the position shooting)

01.jpg

- Or to import 3D models (scanner or other soft 3D) as props to make rotoscope.

03.jpg

If the latter produces the best rotoscope I know, I think it will be possible to improve its performance by exploiting the information of 3D props, allowing to make retopology directly on the prop with the modeling tools of AM. As, in a way, ReSurface plugin, but on props.

Do you know, if it is in project to create a similar tool in futur?

• Hash Fellow

The import of polygon models has been discussed many, many, many times here.

Here's one....

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=326235

Short answer... if it could be done, it would have been done long ago.

If the latter produces the best rotoscope I know, I think it will be possible to improve its performance by exploiting the information of 3D props, allowing to make retopology directly on the prop with the modeling tools of AM.

You mean automatically? It wouldn't be any easier for a "prop" than a model.

As, in a way, ReSurface plugin, but on props.
If ReSurface is doing an acceptable job, then just use it create mesh suitable for import.

Do you know, if it is in project to create a similar tool in futur?
Short answer, I doubt it. There are too many other higher priorities that would need to be pushed aside for this one enormously difficult problem.

Great looking models! You don't need polygon import! :)

• Hash Fellow

I've re read your post a bit... I guess what you are wondering is if the "prop" could be a solid, uneditable shape in the modeling window, that you could model around with splines....

hmmm... that sounds plausible... but you can model splines in the chor already (hit the Thom button). Put a prop in the chor and model splines around it, that won't work?

• Hash Fellow

Here... Is this what you are thinking...

PropInChor.png

The head is an OBJ imported as a prop and placed in the chor.

Model 1 started as just a spline to make a model that could also be placed in the chor.

In the chor I selected Model 1 and then hit the Modeling Mode button to enable editing Model 1 with new splines and drew the new spline that is on the profile of the head.

Doesn't work well in shaded mode, but this is what you were thinking except it's in the chor window, right?

Hi Robcat,

Yes, What I mean, is to have the props as a 3D rotoscope. Where the CPs stick on the surface of the prop. That would be faster, than 2D rotoscope.

"hmmm... that sounds plausible... but you can model splines in the chor already (hit the Thom button). Put a prop in the chor and model splines around it, that won't work?"

Thank you, I learn that it was possible to modeling in choregraphy. :)

A way to stick the CP along the surface of the props?

Thank you for your answer.

• Hash Fellow

Unfortunately, no. You have to judge it manually.

When the prop is in shaded mode you can't see the splines over it at all, so it's not a perfect solution, but possibly useful.

Steffan has a plug-in - called resurface

I haven't used it - but from the description it sounds like it might be helpful

EDIT: never mind - I see that you already discussed that plugin

Edited by NancyGormezano

• Hash Fellow

Actually, I see I misunderstood Malo's reference to "Resurface". I was thinking of another program discussed elsewhere, probably not even called "Resurface" that attempted to make splines over polygon model.

So basically, I initially misunderstood everything in Malo's first post. :D

"Unfortunately, no. You have to judge it manually... but possibly useful"

Yes It could be useful. Thank again :)

Hi, Nancy

Yes this plugin, I have not try it yet (because I am on v13).

But I think that don't work in choregraphy between a prop and a model.

If you open a new blank model ... Select the "Model1" in the project workspace so that it is highlighted ... Right click -> Plug-ins -> Import -> Object Model (OBJ) ... It should convert the OBJ model to a spline based model. At least it does on version 13 (Although I may have gotten the OBJ importer from somewhere rather then it coming with A:M as standard). The converted version will look like "poo-poo" but it will give you a 3d rotoscope you can then use to base new spline layout on top (you will have to add the splines manually). You might be able to break splines on the actual converted one and redo the continuity layout rather then creating a version from scratch. The only thing to warn you about is if the polys are high in the OBJ model it may take a while for it to import and convert to a spline based. Attached is a zip file of an OBJ model and the spline converted version without any corrections. Just another way to do things ...

Bruce

OBJ_to_Spline.ZIP contains:

- Williams.obj

- Williams.mdl

OBJ_to_Spline.zip

As far as I understand this discussion, Malo thinks, that a kind of retopology tool or plugin

for AM would be great, working in that way, that you could redraw splines ontop of a polybased 3D rotoscopes

with the help of a "snap to surface" function similar to the "snap to grid" button.

I don`t know anything of programming, but maybe it`s doable with a reasonable amount of work?

On the other hand, I think it would be more important/usefull to make the AM displacement "animationsafe",

so that one could use the polygon sculpting tools with AM for animatable characters as well....

Hi, thanks for your answers.

wedgeeguy,

I can't do as you say, because I don't use a polygon modeler, but a free scult modeler (Sculptris). The result, is an OBJ model, that comport 550 000 triangles.

And I think, It is better to rethinking the topology of a polygon model, so for me it is faster and better to remodeling it, in AM.

jakerupert,

"...that you could redraw splines ontop of a polybased 3D rotoscopes with the help of a "snap to surface" function similar to the "snap to grid" button...."

yes, this is! :)

"I don`t know anything of programming, but maybe it`s doable with a reasonable amount of work?"

I don't know too... That idea come to me, when I used the props as 2D rotoscopes, and see the video of resurface plugin. It is just an idea :)

"On the other hand, I think it would be more important/usefull to make the AM displacement "animationsafe", so that one could use the polygon sculpting tools with AM for animatable characters as well.... "

All right this animation diplacement problem is more important and usefull. :)