Hash, Inc. Forums

Tentacle rigging

Eric2575

I was wondering about that. So a pose is basically only to set up constraints? What about the animate button? I just went through a tutorial that mentioned turning off the animate button so it doesn't set any keyframes? I have absorbed so much in a very short time and am just waiting for it all to click. Not quite there yet.

Well I tested it first with fewer bones and didn't like the way the tentacles moved and bent, but the results were encouraging. Next I did a version with more bones in the last third of the tentacle and it looked much better with more motion control in the end as you can see in the clip. It was pretty easy to manipulate, and with a bit more practice controlling the tentacle could be second hand. I am going to modify a few things like more twisting constraints and I want to see if adding maybe three nulls will help with the overall ease of use, but so far so good.

Eric

It only took me a few minutes to make that clip and mos of the time was spent on timing and not really knowing what I was doing. The manipulation of the tentacle was pretty easy. Once I tweaked it a bit more, I'll post the simple tentacle with bones and constraints. While we're on the subject, whenever I tried to constrain a null to the last bone in the chain and then I move the null, the constrained bone breaks from it's parent. Why is that? Is there a way to keep it attached to it's parent and still constrain it o the null?

What constraints are you using?

Translate to constraints will break the chain. Using a kinematic constraint won't, but once the null is not within the chain length, the null will pull away from the constrained bone in the chain.