Hash, Inc. Forums

Witch one has the best camera move?

Witch one has the best camera move?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Hash Fellow

(drag over black boxes to reveal spoiler text.)

I picked

Shot 4

only because it has a bit more of

an initial jiggle

at the

beginning

that suggested the

camera

was being

bumped out of a resting place

I think they would all be functional.

I last watched Battlestar Galactica in 1979.

I remember thinking Battlestar Galactica was awesome when I was a kid. When they came out with a dvd box set shaped like cylon's head a few years back I thought it would be fun to watch again. I don't think I even finished 2 episodes. I guess cool robots and ships was all that held my attention as a kid. Anyway, I never had any interest in the new stuff.

I'm curious what you did to get the camera moves. Are they hand animated? Having a shaky cam like that really pulls you out of the "oh it's cg" feeling. Makes it interesting.

I completely agree, that is what I was going for. There is a term for that that was coined in the fifty's, I forget the term but it causes/triggers a primal uncomfortable felling in us human beings because what we are viewing is something that is not human or reality but is so closely imitating a human or reality.

It can actually scare us when we see this in real life. The term that I cant remember has been brought up in resent years because of real life robots made in Japan that are so closely resembling actual human beings and our movements.

I shot 4 takes with a real video camera at true 24fps as you can see below. So the Shots are mostly NOT hand animated at least not in AM/ CG land. The real life camera move is actually shakier so I smoothed the shot out in AM by just deleting every 2 key frames but as the shot gets towards the end I only delete every other key then not at all. I also modified the shot by "ADDING" an additional minor choreography action that modified the original move / action.

Origional_shot_03.mov

I'm curious what you did to get the camera moves. Are they hand animated? Having a shaky cam like that really pulls you out of the "oh it's cg" feeling. Makes it interesting.

I completely agree, that is what I was going for. There is a term for that that was coined in the fifty's, I forget the term but it causes/triggers a primal uncomfortable felling in us human beings because what we are viewing is something that is not human or reality but is so closely imitating a human or reality.

It can actually scare us when we see this in real life. The term that I cant remember has been brought up in resent years because of real life robots made in Japan that are so closely resembling actual human beings and our movements.

I shot 4 takes with a real video camera at true 24fps as you can see below. So the Shots are mostly NOT hand animated at least not in AM/ CG land. The real life camera move is actually shakier so I smoothed the shot out in AM by just deleting every 2 key frames but as the shot gets towards the end I only delete every other key then not at all. I also modified the shot by "ADDING" an additional minor choreography action that modified the original move / action.

Origional_shot_03.mov

'Uncanny valley' I believe is the term.

I voted for the currently most popular option...but I really saw all 3 as 'from the same mill' or very, very similar. I guess I was expecting more variance. All in all, I think you nailed the 'hand-held' llok and feel- it is very 'human'.