Hash, Inc. Forums

Nautilus animation short

After posting this last night, I did some experiments with the smoke project. I got some nice animated rolling fog effects, but the render time per frame for just the fog was three minutes. I shudder to think what it would be with the ocean rig and the Nautilus in the scene. I know, I know, everyone is now saying what about rendering it separately and compositing it? Hmmm, maybe a combination of animated rotoscope and sprite effects...

Chris, could you post an animated example of your volumetric fog for us please? Go ahead and post it here since it's relevant to this thread.

Holmes, do you have a short clip of your technique with the fractal sum?

I'll try and knock out an example of the rotoscope fog and post it.

Quick question: We have all played with swirling white smoke in the fire tutorial, but can we produce grayish fog like this? -

http://activeden.net/item/fog-video-effect/949

I tried changing the sprite, but haven't gotten it yet.

Edit: Spoke too soon, just didn't save the tga with the alpha channel. Ok, now I have a grayish fog, but still want to explore the most efficient way to do this for the animation, so keep the input coming please.

In the mean time...I couldn't resist another still. This was one pass and took about four minutes at 1920x900. Added the waterline shadow and did a slight sharpen in PS. I reduced the render time for the animation quite a bit by taking out all the lights except one for the green water illumination. The first still I did used 8 green ambiance lights, this one uses one for pretty much the same effect.

Nautilus_Side_1920a92a0.jpg