Hash, Inc. Forums

Using Action Objects in a Choreography

Florian80

Ich made a character, that walks with a laptop into the scene. I made it a reusable action with an action object. now I want the character to put down the laptop on a table. But if I kill the constraint that attaches the laptop to the hand, it destroys the rest of the action. how can I prevent that? I also tried to change the laptop to a real objekt in the choreography by making it transparent but it doesn't work in comic render mode.

Then I tried the ON/OFF property to switch from one laptop to the other but the laptop disappeared in the previous choreography action and reappeared in the short action where the character moved the hand to the table with the Laptop still attached.

I don't know how to make it visible again or of an other idea to make an action object an really usable object in a choreography.UA_Werbung5.prj

I don't know how to make it visible again or of an other idea to make an action object an really usable object in a choreography.

Action objects are tricky to deal with. I find they are best for assembling sets, and other things that don't move, or are not going to be manipulated elsewhere in the same chor, for the very reasons/problems you are encountering.

(I haven't looked at your project - so you may have already tried this, or there may be something else going on)

Have you tried creating separate laptop model(s) called laptop2.mdl, laptop3.mdl, etc - rather than using the same model as the action object in the reusable action object and in the chor? Don't try to use another instance of the laptop model - but use a different model/file altogether that is actually the same, but called something different.

Or it might be best to constrain the laptop model to your character's hand in the chor - rather than constrain it in the reusable action. You would have more control of it, and would only need 1 model.

I don't know how to make it visible again or of an other idea to make an action object an really usable object in a choreography.

Action objects are tricky to deal with. I find they are best for assembling sets, and other things that don't move, or are not going to be manipulated elsewhere in the same chor, for the very reasons/problems you are encountering.

(I haven't looked at your project - so you may have already tried this, or there may be something else going on)

Have you tried creating separate laptop model(s) called laptop2.mdl, laptop3.mdl, etc - rather than using the same model as the action object in the reusable action object and in the chor? Don't try to use another instance of the laptop model - but use a different model/file altogether that is actually the same, but called something different.

Or it might be best to constrain the laptop model to your character's hand in the chor - rather than constrain it in the reusable action. You would have more control of it, and would only need 1 model.

Thanks for the reply, the Idea to constrain the laptop in the choreogrphy came to my mind just after i postet it. So I deleted the Action objekt and constrained the object in the chor to the character. This way it is just as easy to handle as always.