Hash, Inc. Forums

Just Drifting away

Hi again everyone,

Ok, have been re working a older project and have 2 questions with a problem.

My model is moving through the Chor. and at frame 00:06:15 I want the model to stop, not move for about 10 frames (a pause) then resume it's motion.

I have been over Robs Keyframe tuts. but still can not put my finger on how to make this happen, the model still drifts through the 10 frames.

Question 2:

On the attached image how do you tell what each line is for?

Thanks

Wallykeyframes.jpg

Assuming you are moving the Model Bone and do NOT have the model constrained to a path.

Select the Model Bone in the chor in the PWS and switch to Channel View.

Click in the Channel window and hit [Ctrl-A] to select all the keyframes.

Right-click in the selection box and choose Curve > Interpolation Method > Zero Slope. (This will make Zero Slope the default interpolation method for all the model bone's keyframes)

Now double-click in the same selection box and, in the dialog that appears, set Interpolation Method to "Default".

Now all your Model Bone keys are zero-sloped.

Go to the frame on which you want your model to stop moving and set a keyframe.

Go the frame you want your model to start moving again and set another keyframe.

Delete all other keyframes between the stop/start keys.

• Hash Fellow
Question 2:

On the attached image how do you tell what each line is for?

You can't , really.

In the screencapture you have a model selected, so the channel view will show you all the channels that model has.

If you cursor down to any of the items in that model (such as beam or lid or spinner ) you will get just the channels for that item. After you do that if you hit R you can toggle between seeing just the rotation channels and seeing all of them. Likewise for the N key and translation channels. S key will toggle Scale channels.

white, red, green and blue mean W, X, Y and Z axis

white is also used for property channels that are just a numerical value like cm or %

I notice in your screenshot, Walter, that there is a blue "Z" channel that is still increasing in value during your 10 frame pause (It's the blue line at the very bottom of your timeline).

That would cause the floating during the 10 frame pause. Everything else looks like it is already zero-sloped.

Look carefully at each channel spline during the pause. If any are still sloping, then there will be motion during that time.

Good luck ;)

Well still a mystery, so a new way to approach this.

My chor is say 8 seconds, have a path. Constrain model to path. All good.

Now

Is it possible to have the model stop at say 4 sec. do a action for 1 sec. then continue on the path to the end?

Or

Is it possible to have 2 separate paths. Model goes down 1st one, then does an action, then continues on the second path?

• Hash Fellow

Now

Is it possible to have the model stop at say 4 sec. do a action for 1 sec. then continue on the path to the end?

Use the "ease" property of the path constraint. Set it to 0 at the beginning of your animation and 100% at the end.

In the middle you can key other values to govern how far it is along the path. 40% at 4 seconds and 40% at 5 seconds would make it stay at 40% from sec 4 to sec 5. Of course you have to zero slope those two keys.

Or

Is it possible to have 2 separate paths. Model goes down 1st one, then does an action, then continues on the second path?

Yes, but you'll need to key the enforcements of the two path constraints so one is completely off when you want the object to really be on the other path. And vice versa.

And of course you'll have to do some keys on the ease of both path constraints so they are not going thru the default 0 to 100% ease simultaneously.

Now Is it possible to have the model stop at say 4 sec. do a action for 1 sec. then continue on the path to the end?

Use the "ease" property of the path constraint. Set it to 0 at the beginning of your animation and 100% at the end.

In the middle you can key other values to govern how far it is along the path. 40% at 4 seconds and 40% at 5 seconds would make it stay at 40% from sec 4 to sec 5. Of course you have to zero slope those two

keys.

You will probably want to set the Interpolation Method o the Ease channel to Zero Slope.

Or Is it possible to have 2 separate paths. Model goes down 1st one, then does an action, then continues on the second path?

Yes, but you'll need to key the enforcements of the two path constraints so one is completely off when you want the object to really be on the other path. And vice versa.

And of course you'll have to do some keys on the ease of both path constraints so they are not going thru the default 0 to 100% ease simultaneously.

Sure, you can do that, but it is easier to use a single path.