Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

An observation on subdivision.

Malo

Hello,

An observation on subdivision.

It seems that subdivision by 1/2, is not very compatible with the topology of AM. There are better results by 1/3.

For the follow examples, I use the SplitPatch plugin that use subdivision by 1/2.(thank you Yoda for all yours plugins!)

The subdivision by 1/3 has been done by hand.

splitch1.jpg

splitch2.jpg

Some hooks can cause problems. (because it is not possible to stick more than three hooks per segments)

So prefer to use the third solution.

splitch3hook.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You appear to be thinking like a Poly modeller. The 'subdivision' is only necessary where the extra splinage is necessary. Compare your example results for 1/2 and 1/3. Look at the shear volume of extra, and most likely unnecessary, patches the 1/3 version has. Sure 1/2 is not perfect and will need to be manually tweaked but AM doesn't have the concept of or even need subdivisions like Poly modelling does.

Cheers

Is such a tight mesh required overall or just where 'pointed' contact is expected? I imagine that the areas associated with point type contact (elbows, knees etc shouldn't have 5 point patches or too many hooks) BUT it has been some years since I last played with cloth.....

Cheers