Hash, Inc. Forums

how do you achieve that glossy/reflective look?

new guy

Hi Everyone!

I've attached the project to a certain look I'm trying to get. Also attached a jpeg as to the look I'm trying to get. Looks like reflections from the ground and sky, but I tried that and it just didn't work. Sucks being a newbie. :(

I've tried numerous things and nothing seems to work. If anyone has time and wants to take a crack at it, please do so. You guys can use these files for anything you like. In fact, I insist. :)

The project has the models and chor with movements already in place, just need to figure out the "glossy-reflective" look.

Thanks in advance!

post-12905-1266160772_thumb.jpg

glossy_reflections.zip

i'm no expert, but you might wanna look into specular decal maps, that might help get the specific shapes you're looking for

it's a reflection. You can give it with a reflective spherical map or with a sphere around you model. It is not dificult to do. Your model reflect an other white model.

Took a look at your project...

There's many ways to accomplish that look...environment maps...matcap shaders...OR, as I am trying in the attached prj... turning ON reflections for the models and then giving them something to reflect. I did that simply by placing a sky image (you can replace) into the choreography just behind the camera.

Let me know if that gets you going in the right direction.

reflectionB.zip

039matt_horciel.jpg

• Hash Fellow

There are some important differences between your model and the sample you show.

Theirs is all rounded surfaces which makes it easy reflect the surroundings. Yours is mostly flat surfaces which have to be precisely aimed to catch reflection.

Their objects are very black which makes it easy to see reflections on it. Yours is grey, the bright surface competes with any reflections it catches.

In this quick try I deleted all the groups from "big screen" and made it all black and I dropped an "Environment Map" material on it that uses the "SparkelMap05" image.

Look at the map it uses and compare the colors on it with where they show up on your model in the render. If a highlight is too bright or the wrong color or in the wrong place in the render, you can edit the map to change it. You can switch out other maps in the material to see how they look.

You might well paint other maps to use for other objects' reflections.

This isn't real reflection, so you don't need to have Reflections on when you render unless some other model uses real reflections. It is faster than real reflection.

With more study this can be improved greatly, but this is a quick example.

SpecTestMP4.mov

reflectPRJ.zip

Thanks guys!

I checked out the two files and I think I'm getting closer.

I've attached a project with an animating model in a chor kinda similar to the NFL model in the Quicktime I uploaded... and I do mean KINDA!lol Trying to get that look, but not having luck. I think it's a reflection from the ground and sky, but I am having problems getting that sleek look like the QT I attached. If anyone wants to give it a try, please do.

Thanks!

reflection_glossy_look.mov

logo_attempt.zip

robcat2075...

yeah bro! that is exactly what i am trying to do! that looks beautiful! you were right about the round surface. makes all the difference.

sorry, just new and still getting the hang of all the input. when i said "getting closer" i was talking about myself. getting closer to understanding everything you said. no hard feelings? :(

anyway i could get that prj file with thom and the box with the same settings?

• Hash Fellow
you were right about the round surface. makes all the difference.

Yes, notice the basic problem. round Thom has lots of highlights, but flat cube hardly has any. In that sample clip you showed, even the flat surfaces really had some curve in them.

It's just an environment map material again on Thom and the cube.

GlossyThom01.zip

This has some variations of the map in it but you will almost certainly have to paint your own to work for your shot because you have a different camera angle and different motion.