Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

dragon spikes

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Steve392, that is way more than semi-successful. Rob, you know I've been working on getting a handle decal and bump maps. Could you possibly post the greyscale image that used for that displacement map? I don't wanna steal it, just wanna study it. :D

• Hash Fellow

If you follow one of the top spikes all the way around you'll see some oddness, which is why I say semi-successful.

Could you possibly post the greyscale image that used for that displacement map? I don't wanna steal it, just wanna study it.

Here you go. They generally have to be EXR to avoid banding. you can open it in A:M to see it.

perpective_Render0.zip

• Hash Fellow
Hey, if you animate the strength of the displacement, do the spikes grow?

Yes. This shows the percentage going from -1000 to +1000

The first half is with the original map that didn't have the base color close to middle gray. The second half is after I adjusted it in Photoshop.

platesMinusToPlusCH264.mov

I opened the EXR image in A:M. My computer tried to open it with an expired demo version of Photoshop that I downloaded some time back. I have Corel but it doesn't recognize the file extension. (Stupid me, what is the EXR format, anyway?)

Did you create the original image in Photoshop?

Thanks, Rob

• Hash Fellow
I opened the EXR image in A:M. My computer tried to open it with an expired demo version of Photoshop that I downloaded some time back.

There's a photoshop plugin on the OpenEXR site that might work with other software.

(Stupid me, what is the EXR format, anyway?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenEXR

Did you create the original image in Photoshop?

I modeled one spike and scattered several of them on a flat surface. I shot that with an overhead camera with fog settings to make the near to far gradate from white to grey. I rendered that to the exr frame and cylinder wrapped that image on the basic shape.