Hash, Inc. Forums

Cloth as Hair

Florian80

Hi there!

Yesterday I tried the cloth tutorial. Now I had the idea to use the cloth simulation to create primitive Hair for a simple character. But the results where not appropriate. At least I do not know If i should assign the points of the hair to the head bone or if they should stay with the main bone of the character. But if I do the last thing, they won't move with the head.

Any ideas?

I try to attach the project file

Modulvorspann2.prj

not to discourage you from playing with AM, but why not simply use hair for hair? From what I can tell, the Hair emitter has some in depth dynamics and stuff, and looks like it reacts very naturally. I've never used cloth before so I can't help you with anything like that

not to discourage you from playing with AM, but why not simply use hair for hair? From what I can tell, the Hair emitter has some in depth dynamics and stuff, and looks like it reacts very naturally. I've never used cloth before so I can't help you with anything like that

It will be some kind of comic character. You won't see any detailed hair - so the behavior is similar to cloth. I haven't tried out the hair yet.

• Admin

You are off to a good start.

Its a bit hard to tell but I think the primary thing you'll want to adjust is the stretch settings of the cloth.

You want the helmet head hair to move but not stretch.

With such short hair you might not need to use Cloth.

You may be able to just animate the CPs of the mesh to get the amount of movement you want.

Haven't looked at your project, but I LIKE the idea of cloth as hair, I even tried it once in the past... using thin cloth strips to make a sort of 'mop-top' and then decalling them with a hair texture- never got what I wanted and gave up. After my RECENT experiments(shameless plug http://www.youtube.com/user/campydoodles#p/a/u/0/UdUVO9K2Avs ) I've learned that you need to approach the cloth feature with respect...there is a lot it can and cannot do... a lot of people think it is an easy feature once you get the magic settings and it is not. Each action or scenario needs different setups... you will need to dink with your keyframes once simulated... you will need to know how to combine keyframes from different simulations... mainly, you need to learn to think around the setbacks to accomplish what you need to see.

• Hash Fellow

-1st rule of cloth is it has to start NOT incontact with any deflector. The hair and head mesh are starting too close to each other. Make a pose that can either shrink the head mesh or that can move the hair mesh off the head.

Look at the test in this post

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=318157

I start the body out small, then expand it to fill the shirt.

-There's also one spline sticking off the top of the cloth mesh. That's a problem waiting to happen.

-The cloth mesh also needs to be denser. Look at my post for an example of a cloth density.

-Also the cloth hasn't been simulated inteh PRJ you posted. I'm presuming this is the PRJ before you ran the simulation...

I can't offer much help. A while back I tried this once myself as well. I was also going for a cartoony look using toon shading, so I figured hair simulation would be overkill. I had a lot of major problems with intersecting, so I tried to make my mesh denser. It still didn't work like I wanted, though. As I recall, I finally gave up on cloth sim and went with bone dynamics.

I've seen cloth used in various programs to simulate everything from ocean waves to footprints, so I am certain it could be used for hair. I just didn't have the patience or perserverance to figure it out.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how you deal with this problem. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there!

At least I do not know If i should assign the points of the hair to the head bone or if they should stay with the main bone of the character. But if I do the last thing, they won't move with the head.

Any ideas?

I try to attach the project file

Modulvorspann2.prj

I found that it is best to attach the cloth cp's to the bone that would move them. In your case the head I assume but I haven't looked at your project.

Sounds to me, that the cloth Simulating is not so easy to use as I imagined. So I think I will give up the use of it for this time. The hair doesn't need to move at all for the simple scenes I have in mind. But I thougt if it is that easy I could add some extras to the figure without making time consuming adjustments.

But that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe i will try it out later when I really need hair or cloth.

But thanks for the detailed help!