Hash, Inc. Forums

Scarecrow of Oz

We finally have a draft edit of the next sequence of Scarecrow of Oz. Yay! OK, so it's not Snow White or Toy Story, but we sure are learning a lot :)

There aren't any sound effects or music yet, so it is kind of sparse in places. Hopefully Angelo will give us some background sounds soon.

def3dca464469d2cf9f3

A second look over reveals some points:

1) When the group approach the guards at the castle, the first frame doesn't have the group in it. I picked it up at normal speed.

2) The guards at the gate don't have any brow movement or blinks.

3) The Ooos from the crowd happen a little too early. Right now they're Oooing smoke.

I'm happy to make the changes (at least the animation ones) if there's still time for edits.

A second look over reveals some points:

1) When the group approach the guards at the castle, the first frame doesn't have the group in it. I picked it up at normal speed.

2) The guards at the gate don't have any brow movement or blinks.

3) The Ooos from the crowd happen a little too early. Right now they're Oooing smoke.

I'm happy to make the changes (at least the animation ones) if there's still time for edits.

Great Ken! That would be awesome. Please make careful notes of the affected frames so I can rerender only those frames. If you let me know *exactly* which frames to rerender, there is a much better chance of it actually happening :) For example: 145-256, 512-567, 1000-1415 etc...

Don't worry about:

1) When the group approach the guards at the castle, the first frame doesn't have the group in it.

That was a rendering issue. It's fixed now.

The Ooos from the crowd happen a little too early. Right now they're Oooing smoke

And this is an audio timing issue. The "oohs" have to be shifted without changing the overall length of the audio clip. If you want to do that, great. If not, I'll put it on the list.

And this is an audio timing issue. The "oohs" have to be shifted without changing the overall length of the audio clip. If you want to do that, great. If not, I'll put it on the list.

I'm assuming this is done in the compositor post rendering. Do I have access to this?

That leaves the guards brows/blinks which I'll do now. Please everyone remember they can do this in future shots! :) You can temporarily hide the helmet to see the blinks.

PS Also, I'll probably animate the first time we see Trot in the above clip. I must have forgotten to move her. lol I'll let you know all the frames to render.

I'm assuming this is done in the compositor post rendering. Do I have access to this?

I just looked, and I have the crowd and the dialog on different tracks, so it was pretty easy for me to shift the "oohs". It should be updated in the next draft edit.

You can temporarily hide the helmet to see the blinks.

I didn't know the guards could blink, guess I never looked ... oops. Thanks for the tip.

• Admin

Nice sequence! :)

I too like the Googly Goo Sequence.

The way he moves around and interacts with King Krewl really drew me in.

The one gesture out of the whole sequence which seemed awkward is where Googly Goo raises his hand to his cheek his forehead and crosses his other arm over as if thinking. With so little time and no pause to allow Googly Goo to think that gesture seems out of place. I'm not sure what others think but it seems forced and perhaps unnecessary?

There is a lot to like in this sequence and I should spend more time commenting on the work represented here.

The parting of the clouds while decending into the city... that's very nice! From the characters perspective... breathtaking.

Does one of the guards (the one on the right) disappear at the gate of the city?

He's probably just off camera but I lose track of him.

Edit: Okay, looks like he just takes off well in advance of our adventurerers.

The one gesture out of the whole sequence which seemed awkward is where Googly Goo raises his hand to his cheek his forehead and crosses his other arm over as if thinking. With so little time and no pause to allow Googly Goo to think that gesture seems out of place. I'm not sure what others think but it seems forced and perhaps unnecessary?

I was going for a "woe is me" gesture rather than a thinking one. If it was thinking, you'd have a point. It still probably could be longer or the whole move made simpler. But we're under timing pressures both within the shot and in the production generally. Duly noted.

I was going for a "woe is me" gesture rather than a thinking one.

If you are referring to the action around where googly says something about "that miserable boy Pon" - then I read it as well as a "woe as me" - but I thought the gesture came too late, or seemed out of place as well. I think it might have read better if it coincided or preceded the dialog.

For humans- usually a thought (reflected in body language by posture, gesture or expression) triggers some feelings/emotion (triggering a change in posture, expression), which then triggers possible the utterance of words, or change to new posture, gesture. Usually this happens quickly in reality, with sometimes subtle changes, and sometimes more obvious changes.

• Admin
I was going for a "woe is me" gesture rather than a thinking one. If it was thinking, you'd have a point. It still probably could be longer or the whole move made simpler. But we're under timing pressures both within the shot and in the production generally. Duly noted.

Sorry Ken. I should be more careful when responding.

Going from memory I misrecalled the gesture as 'thinking' and failed to properly edit my response.

The gesture reads as a manufactured 'woe is me' gesture so you've got that going on.

My point was that there isn't time for a change in gesture and that makes that pose seem rushed... even without this particular gesture Googly may be in jeopardy of gesticulating too much. On the positive side, Googly seems to be enjoying himself and purposefully hamming it up, so its okay if he overdoes it.

The underlying point... which I believe you've noted... is that it takes time for the audience to read a pose and then move on.

As Googly is popping around all over the place this makes the reading of each of his poses a little harder.

From an purely editorial perspective if the gesture doesn't flow as necessary it will be easy enough to lengthen the gesture to a moving hold or simply drop those frames out. I've experimented a little with adding Ease to rendered frames and in a pinch it can do wonders to resolve such minor issues in timing. I suspect that if editing the image sequence I'd follow the Editor's rule and when in doubt just cut it out. There just doesn't seem to be enough frames for the motivation behind the gesture to play out.

• 1 month later...