Hash, Inc. Forums

Valkyrie

Hutch

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will add a short dissolve as you guys suggested. I think making the valkyrie start off black and shift into her normal colors sounds like a good idea too Darkwing. Paul, I will look into the transformation poses as well. Maybe I can make valkyrie's body and head start off smaller and her arms sort of flattened out like wings. I will send you an e-mail brainmuffin.

Ok, I added a pose to the valkyrie to change her to solid black and shrink her legs and head. I also changed the shape of her cloak to look like wings. I haven't added the dissolve yet. Do you think it still needs it? AO is so awesome. It makes it look like she is a little miniature or something. Oh, I also went ahead and simulated the cloth and animated her braids by hand because the movement was too fast for dynamics.

transformtestAO.mov

That's looking pretty good. Maybe add motion blur and/or DOF.

I forgot to mention it but that last one does have motion blur. It's only 4 passes so maybe more would bring it out or maybe I should up the percentage. I just left it at default.

• Admin

Wow! This just keeps getting better and better.

Setup-wise I can't help but think you need to adjust the angle of decent or the camera a little to break the initial symmetry.

A few options:

1. Start with the bird further to the left (or right) and have her swoop down and land stage center.

2. Star with the bird where it is and have the Valkyrie land where she does but have the bird arc out to left (or right) during the transformation transforming.

This may be more work than you have time to give it and I'm sure you have other things to attend to.

The current setup works as is but I can't help but think you can still plus it up a little bit.

If she transforms like this in other scenes perhaps what I suggest could be applied there instead.

I'm going back to read through the rest of your WIP.

Did you say this was for a personal project or contract work?

Either way... impressive!

Wow! This just keeps getting better and better.

Setup-wise I can't help but think you need to adjust the angle of decent or the camera a little to break the initial symmetry.

A few options:

1. Start with the bird further to the left (or right) and have her swoop down and land stage center.

2. Star with the bird where it is and have the Valkyrie land where she does but have the bird arc out to left (or right) during the transformation transforming.

This may be more work than you have time to give it and I'm sure you have other things to attend to.

The current setup works as is but I can't help but think you can still plus it up a little bit.

If she transforms like this in other scenes perhaps what I suggest could be applied there instead.

I'm going back to read through the rest of your WIP.

Did you say this was for a personal project or contract work?

Either way... impressive!

Thanks Rodney! I had thought about doing something to get the composition away from totally centered but wasn't sure what to do with it. When there is a background I think I will have more options. I didn't want to focus in on the bird and lose anything to give it a sense of scale. The illusion might be a bit harder to pull off from an angle but when I get to the final shots I will probably have to work it out. This is just a personal project. I am shooting for something around 2 minutes with one more character (and a couple minor variations on him) that is in the rigging process right now. If it goes over well the short will be just the first bit of a piece about 10-12 minutes long.

I have the final character rigged. He still needs a little work here and there and I will make a couple variations on him. Maybe one will have some stubble, slightly different faces etc. I am going to get rid of the rust on the shield. I made it a while back when I was thinking of going for a more realistic look. I may add some doodads to his armor like straps and hinges but I don't want him to look too detailed compared to the others.

post-1326-1268466663_thumb.jpg

Looks very nice. I would like to see how you rigged the cloth. Once again very nice

Steve

Here you go Steve. This is basically how I have done all my cloth 'skirts' so far. I still continue tweaking it here and there. The top spline ring of the cloth group does not move when you simulate so I have been smart skinning it to keep the cloth from intersecting the thigh when it raises. It may not be the best way to do it but it works ok for me for the most part. My cloaks use the same material with a bit less mesh density. The sleeves are the same material and required much more smart skinning.

clothsetup.prj