Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cumulus clouds

• Hash Fellow

Simple cumulus clouds from a sprite emitter

Clouds05MP4.mov

Haven't quite gotten the emitter itself to stay transparent so you don'tsee it in transit.

PRJ

Clouds06.zip

edit: dark sky variant sprite...

CloudSprite4_dark.tga

They're actually faster onscreen in real-time than they are to render to a movie.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wanna see one of those fly through's similar to serenity where you come up on a planet, go through the clouds, see the terrain below, light is reflecting off the ocean, you know, just your run of the mill ILM style special effects sequence that usually takes months to prepare :)

• Hash Fellow
i wanna see one of those fly through's similar to serenity where you come up on a planet, go through the clouds, see the terrain below, light is reflecting off the ocean, you know, just your run of the mill ILM style special effects sequence that usually takes months to prepare :)

All of that can be done in A:M. It's a matter of knowing the tools and using them in the right place. Get to it. ;)

That does look terrific - would be interesting to see if one could have a small "crowd, flock, swarm" of clouds (crowd of sprite emitters?)

Or perhaps a crowd of some Image emitter HAIR clouds, that are dynamically "groomed" by an animated direction map, animated hair length map, color map, as well as animated hair emitter transparency...

(EDIT probably easier to do multiple hair clouds on a path than to try a crowd - more controllable)

• Hash Fellow
Ive always wondered what if you use several volumetric bulb lights with a fractal sum material on them would make good clouds?

There might be something in that.

The problem with "clouds" is that they are like a solid in that they are rather opaque, they have a sunny side and a dark side and they cast shadows. And yet, they are not solid, they are really a gas or close enough to it to be blown around and not maintain their shape.

At normal distances they may appear to have a very sharp surface on one end and be misty on the other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
Great clouds, I tried them in a short scene its a bit basic, still needs a lot of work, but you get the effect I was after.

Glenn.

Thanks. Looks windy!

I wonder if the cape might benefit from a greater stretch stiffness setting.

Awesome robcat.

Have you tried increasing the lifetime and performing the emitter animation before frame 0?

Then kick on the force about a half sec before frame zero. Maybe use a long lifetime so the sprites fade more slowly like real clouds.

• Hash Fellow
Awesome robcat.

Have you tried increasing the lifetime and performing the emitter animation before frame 0?

Then kick on the force about a half sec before frame zero. Maybe use a long lifetime so the sprites fade more slowly like real clouds.

Yes, there are many variations possible. I didn't have an immediate use for the clouds so I just put them out there.

Forum member "entity" showed a similar technique some years ago but I can't find his post. THere were also some great sprite clouds in TWO I recall.

• Admin

I believe this is the discussion on the clouds used in the opening sequence of 'Tin Woodman of Oz' (TWO).

There are some great examples and project files from Rich (Entity), Mark (mtpeak2) and all the usual suspects here in the forum.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...29237&st=40

I'd be curious to see how a rolling/boiling cloud effect (somewhat similar to a slow motion explosion) might look using your technique.

There's never enough time in a day to explore all the cool things that can be done with A:M but it sure is nice to know the effects are there if and when you need to use them!

A rendering out of a few of these type of sequences with transparency (perhaps PNG or Targa images) might be just the thing for the Images forum area. I'll note to self to see what I can do to collect a few.