Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Question on a modle

Alex55

So yeah, is this model workable with or should i start from scratch again? It's not finished yet keep in mind just curious if i'm on track

-the point of this model is the main character in my animation short

-He's going to be a skier going through a freestyle course basically

Thanks in advance for any feedback

skierv3.mdl

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I think you're trying too hard to make every spline go sideways. Face models usually have concentric loops that radiate out from the mouth and concentric loops that radiate from each eye and when teh start ot intersect, then you start breaking them and attaching the ends.

You've get a whole bunch of models that cam with your A:M and on this forum, look at some of the better faces and see how those loops are arranged.

If you keep trying to make the whole face out of that nose profile you're going to get a face madeof slabs.

Take a look at Jeff Lew's Skylark tutorial. It's a classic.

http://www.hash.com/users/jsherwood/tutes/SkyLark.pdf

It's slightly obsolete because they didn't have hooks and 5-point patches then, but you can see him starting with the eyes and mouth and pulling a face out from those circles.

• Hash Fellow

That is better.

I did some quick resplining to show how you can carry the loops idea farther and use hooks and 5 point patches to simplify the splines. These are the things Jeff Lew didn't have when he wrote the Skylark tut.

Skier_v6c.mdl

I just did one side so you can compare and see what isn't there anymore.

When a spline start running between two other splines and isn't changing the surface that would be between then without the spline, it probably isn't needed and can be ended in a hook, or turned and routed into another spline that isn't going anywhere either.

This isn't necessarily the best lay out, it's just an example of how these things can be simplified.

One hard thing for face modelers to get past is the idea that the face is flat on front. Look in a mirror, tilt your head down and look at your face from the top and see how it immediately begins receding backwards from the center. The lips turn back, the cheeks turn back. The face is really pretty streamlined.