Hash, Inc. Forums

2008 Rig

Shelton

• *A:M User*

Mark

With all the topics on the rig just wanted to make sure I d/l the current version. Also, there were several topics on the face rig. Was that used from squetch rig? Or was that something you created? Thanks for your help.

Steve

Mark

I am on step 71 of 77 and we can assign the weighting to all the cps necessary? The mirror plug in will copy weighting?

Steve

Sorry I still feel like a newbie when it comes to rigging. I have alot of characters to rig so here goes. Just want to make sure I get it right

Mark

Would you have time to look at the shoulder area on my character? I can not get the weighting to work correctly. I may have positioned the shoulder incorrectly.

Steve

ssshelton@tulsacoxmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

I getting pretty far into weighting and testing the rig. Thanks to you and David. But I have a question, I was starting on a walk cycle and when I would roll the knee out the top of the thigh would distort. The weighting I have in that area between the thigh and pelvis blends pretty good when I lif the leg. So when I roll the thigh it becomes distorted. I thought I would apply smart skin to that area to adjust the mesh. However, when I select the thigh or pelvis area to smart skin the mesh distorts. So I thought I would select the roll bone and would not recognize. So back to my question how would I smart skin the joint at the hip, thigh and pelvis? Which bone do I select to begin the smart skinning? I guess this would apply to the shoulder area as well.

I have included a shot to shoe the small amount of roll to the knee that is causing the problem in the hip area.

Steve

hipsshoulder0.jpg

Thanks to David Simmons who once again corrected my problems and answered my questions. The leg is moving smoothly now. It was something as simple as turning off IK before smart skinning. Things we overlook!

Steve

Now, that I am getting the rig in place, to IK or FK? I have watched several tuts that like IK and then some of the more known animators like fk. So my question is, where do you stand on animating, IK or FK?

Steve

Legs IK and arms FK.

The FK legs have its uses, like hopping on one foot (flying through the air?). And the IK arms are better suited for things like the doors stuck exercise or keeping the hands lock to a certain position (constraining the hand targets to a steering wheel of a car). It all depends on the situation.