Hash, Inc. Forums

Aim At problem

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Here's a mystery for any interested detectives.

This is a simple array of lights all constrained to point to a target, with no offset. It worked at first and I can remake it from scratch, but i can't figure out why they are not Aiming At properly now. :blink:

Light_Ring_Bad2.mdl

• Hash Fellow

After a little more searching it seems like the original "bone position" rotation settings (different from the transform rotation settings) have something to do with this. If I zero those out, thigs work again.

Not sure why that affects the constraint.

For some reason, if you select the lights in the modeling window (bones mode), they're scaled oddly (skewed). I've seen this before when bones are not scaled equally in the XYZ axis'. Did you use scaling to position the lights? I don't remember this being the case in older versions, that the bones get skewed when scaling on a single axis. I'm thinking this is a case for A:M Reports, but unfortunately it doesn't happen all the time.

• Hash Fellow
For some reason, if you select the lights in the modeling window (bones mode), they're scaled oddly (skewed). I've seen this before when bones are not scaled equally in the XYZ axis'. Did you use scaling to position the lights? I don't remember this being the case in older versions, that the bones get skewed when scaling on a single axis. I'm thinking this is a case for A:M Reports, but unfortunately it doesn't happen all the time.

I think you're on to something. I didn't intend to scale in the model window, but it may have happened.

There was some scaling of the array in the chor window, although the not-aiming didn't happen until later, but it sounds like a likely suspect. Thanks!