Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Wanted to share

Wrapping up the the "dry" (rough) run on my most recent animation project. I'm fairly satisfied sands some minor tweaking of some of the animation and editing that needs to be done. The sounds are just place holders(BTW: any know of any GOOD sound fx resources) Just wanted to get some other opinions before I started to render.

Here are the clips:

SCI01.mov

SCI02.mov

SCI03.mov

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

(Lots of views but little feedback... that's a pity)

I think these are great!

The design of the characters project an instant appeal.

You've planted some solid elements of character-driven storytelling. The sections are short but make me want to see more of their interaction/rivalry. (and of course you generate empathy almost immediately for the bald character through the situation you've created for him)

The areas I'd pick at are all technically trivial and can be overcome easily in the polishing.

It'll be nice to see these sections pieced together and flowing smoothly.

Nicely done!

If you have the time tell us more about this project!

Thank you guys for all your comments.

The whole concept is based from the hyjinks and antics me and my high school friends went through.

(yes....... If you left your hand flat on a table you were fair game...lol)

I am going for a mix of character anime with a huge

splash of looney toons.

I'm glad the character models are liked. I was kinda worried about their style, but they

grew on me as I began animating them. They began to "tell" me how they would move.

That's always a good thing.

I will post more as I complete the first short.

Thanks again guys!

• Hash Fellow

Good looking characters!

In the first clip I wasn't sure what the sound belonged to. Is it a sound the guy on screen is making or is it something he is hearing? His lips are moving in and out like they are doing something but it's not really in synch with the sound. So I couldn't tell what was intended.

Thank you very much for the sound links.....Some of the ones I have are so old and "fuzzy" it puts a hum in the background that when there is no sound its almost jarring. Speaking of sound.....the back ground noise in that segment comes from the teacher's desk. In the establishing shot, he has a beaker heating on the desk and that was the sound I gave the heater. I was trying to relay one of those "boring" moments where the most minute background noise is deafing..lol

The cartoon shift is just part of the rough cut. I did all the frames in shaded form so that I could piece them together to check the timing. I also did some test renders to check to see how those looked aminated. I just threw those into the rough cut as well. The entire short will be cell shaded.

I'm kinda questioning that scream too. I noticed its length when I was recording the scream for it (it was long and unnatural) I think I just have to find a middle ground of what works for the pacing and the "looney toon" antics that I want to present.

• 1 month later...
Okay guys, after countless hours, I'm down to the final lap here!

I thought I would give my fellow HASH forum members first crack at what is pretty much the finished product. This is episode one. With more to follow. Hope you likes!!! :D

SCI_FI_HIGH_fdraft.mov

Cool! Good job with the animation and some pretty interesting cuts. Are the sounds final? The voices were mostly way lower than the rest. I had to adjust my volume quite a bit to hear the speech then I would be deafened by some sound effect. Overall very inspiring though!

Thank you guys for your responses. I was worried some of the "comedy" would fall flat on those outside of my old high school circle, but I'm glad you guys get it.

Hutch: Do you know of any way to get rid of or rather "monitor" that issue with the sound. For me, it sounds good on my computer, but I've had issues before after burning to DVD and the sounds would be "off" similar to how you described.

Homeslice: Okay, I'll trim what I call my "hold" space. I'm always so scared that my audience will miss what I'm trying to relay or establish in a shot. The last thing I want to do is confuse or lose them through a hasty cut. I guess I need to have a little more faith in my audience. :rolleyes: