Hash, Inc. Forums

Sliding Door

DJBREIT

It been awhile since I did bones and compensates. And My mind is drawing a blank. What I need to do is set up the sliding doors so I can open and close them. I am including a model if you do set it up only do one side of the sliding doors so I can see how you did it. Since I have a house full of sliding doors and windows to do.

slideng_door.jpg

Sliding_Doors.prj

If you like to see the hole house.

Hole_House3.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Easiest way...

put a bone at some convenient spot on your door. Align it so it's pointed in the exact direction the door slides.

Assign all the CPs of the door to that bone.

When you are animating in a chor or action, select the bone, hit N, and use the translate manipulator to move it on just the Z axis (the blue handles on the translate manipulator).

Of course you could still move it in any direction with that bone like that, but if you use the translate manipulator you can move it in just the direction you want.

That’s a little to simplistic.

It would be good for a scene if I was planing to use it for just a few shots. But I don’t really know how many scenes I will be doing. It is more then just a couple and I may have someone else working with me later. So I wanted to set up a rig so I can operate them in the pose slider and with a bone handle. I did manage to get the pose slider working but I can’t think of how to set up the bone handle?

First door opened

slide_001.jpg

then the first and second door opens

slide_002.jpg

P.S. how do you delete unused pose sliders with out using note pad?

• Hash Fellow

by "bone handle" do you mean the roll handle?

A bone rotation can be linked to anything else in a smartskin.

RMB on the bone>New Smartskin

The bone starts out deflected 90°, set it back to 0,0,0 to start.

You can key anything to correspond to rotations of that bone. A pose slider you say? Force a key on the door slider (nudge it, nudge it back) in one position while the bone is un moved.

Next turn the bone handle to however you want it to be when the slider would be in its opposite pose, then move the slider to that opposite pose.

Close the Smartskin window

put your model in a chor. Turn the bone, the slider will move with it and whatever you controlled with the slider will move too.

Of course you didn't really need the intermediate step of the slider, you could have smart skinned the door directly to the control bone.

go way down, where you find all the poses and delete them there as well.

create new pose percentage ,name it "Door open close", alter in the setings the percentage from "0" to "-100", that moves your poseslider to the middlle, then at 100 % move the bonedoor so that the door is open

and on -100% move the bone so that the door is closed.

That`s all.

NOTE: If you have your model already set up in a chor make sure to restart AM in order to see your posesliders perform!

by "bone handle" do you mean the roll handle?

A bone rotation can be linked to anything else in a smartskin.

RMB on the bone>New Smartskin

The bone starts out deflected 90%, set it back to 0,0,0 to start.

You can key anything to correspond to rotations of that bone. A pose slider you say? Force a key on the door slider (nudge it, nudge it back) in one position while the bone is un moved.

Next turn the bone handle to however you want it to be when the slider would be in its opposite pose, then move the slider to that opposite pose.

Close the Smartskin window

put your model in a chor. Turn the bone, the slider will move with it and whatever you controlled with the slider will move too.

After getting this to work I decided to just do the pose slider.

go way down, where you find all the poses and delete them there as well.

create new pose percentage ,name it "Door open close", alter in the settings the percentage from "0" to "-100", that moves your poseslider to the middle, then at 100 % move the bonedoor so that the door is open

and on -100% move the bone so that the door is closed.

That`s all.

NOTE: If you have your model already set up in a chor make sure to restart AM in order to see your posesliders perform!

Thanks for the tips :)