Jump to content
Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roger

rigging my penguin

Recommended Posts

I don't know if this will help (not sure exactly what problem you are trying to solve) - but here is a project that I did for myself to see the differences between using fan bones versus no fan bones with cp weighting versus a combo of both versus using different weighting percentages.

 

In the movie the leftmost cylinder has 2 bones plus fan bone (weighted as shown), and the rightmost has just 2 bones (no fan bone) weighted as shown. The 2 inner cylinders have different weightings than the 2 extremes.

 

How did you get the second ring from the top on the second tube from the left to to rotate more than the bone it's on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for completeness - here is weighting for 2nd from right - which has same bone hierarchy, placement as the right most - but different weighting

2bonesweight100.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it must be an optical illusion. :blink: It really looked like it was rotating more than 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nancy -

 

Interesting how you got those smooth bends in the 4th tube without the fan bones - I thought that was a requirement. I will need to try messing with the cp weighting a little more.

 

Thank you for taking the time to make that example, I just took a quick look at it. I think it will make more sense when I can duplicate your test for myself to see how it works (I have to actually do something before it sticks)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason only the first half had sound :angry: , so here's the first half.

 

PenguinA_MP4.mov

 

 

 

 

I'll try to get to the part where I actually address the original problem tomorrow. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This helps clear up some things - I was wondering how to go back and fix some of these areas where I had painted myself into a corner, so to speak.

Please keep in mind, to anyone looking at this - the beak is just sort of "stuck" there right now, I have been meaning to go back and do a proper modelled beak but

I wanted something quick and dirty as a placeholder. I am not sure how I'll end up hooking it in at this point without munging up what I have already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW - there was a reason for ending the hook higher up on the front. For the life of me, I could not get it to attach without creasing without taking it higher up the front when I was originally modelling it.

 

I had been meaning to fix the head at some point but hadn't gotten round to it yet. If I had been doing it, I would have stitched another spline ring in, I didn't know about the cut plane wizard/plug-in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...