Hash, Inc. Forums

rigging my penguin

Roger

• Hash Fellow
I don't know if this will help (not sure exactly what problem you are trying to solve) - but here is a project that I did for myself to see the differences between using fan bones versus no fan bones with cp weighting versus a combo of both versus using different weighting percentages.

In the movie the leftmost cylinder has 2 bones plus fan bone (weighted as shown), and the rightmost has just 2 bones (no fan bone) weighted as shown. The 2 inner cylinders have different weightings than the 2 extremes.

How did you get the second ring from the top on the second tube from the left to to rotate more than the bone it's on?

• *A:M User*

Nancy -

Interesting how you got those smooth bends in the 4th tube without the fan bones - I thought that was a requirement. I will need to try messing with the cp weighting a little more.

Thank you for taking the time to make that example, I just took a quick look at it. I think it will make more sense when I can duplicate your test for myself to see how it works (I have to actually do something before it sticks)

This helps clear up some things - I was wondering how to go back and fix some of these areas where I had painted myself into a corner, so to speak.

Please keep in mind, to anyone looking at this - the beak is just sort of "stuck" there right now, I have been meaning to go back and do a proper modelled beak but

I wanted something quick and dirty as a placeholder. I am not sure how I'll end up hooking it in at this point without munging up what I have already.

BTW - there was a reason for ending the hook higher up on the front. For the life of me, I could not get it to attach without creasing without taking it higher up the front when I was originally modelling it.

I had been meaning to fix the head at some point but hadn't gotten round to it yet. If I had been doing it, I would have stitched another spline ring in, I didn't know about the cut plane wizard/plug-in.