Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Residential Pool

I decided to start a thread on some of my experimenting with outdoor lighting and rendering.

So here is the scene I am going to be using:

post-11793-1263355257_thumb.jpgpost-11793-1263355270_thumb.jpg

I designed/modeled it to have complex shadows, relfections, and have IOR somewhere (the water (1.33))

Here is a late afternoon lighting.

post-11793-1263355360_thumb.png

post-11793-1263355316_thumb.jpgpost-11793-1263355307_thumb.jpgpost-11793-1263355286.jpg

I have updated that lighting setup slightly after the last render, I added 2 bulbs underwater (as suggested in this thread to give some shadow detail, and I also added a Lane T on the bottom of the pool.

Ive been enjoying rendering to OpenEXR and using its high dynamic range (32 bit too) and buffers to get additonal tweakability.

Next up is the midday daytime look!

Photoman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here is the day render!

I stopped it mid render, its actually a screen capture...

post-11793-1263419256_thumb.jpg

I stopped it at 5hours and it was at pass 6 out of 9...

The renders seem to take forever (AO and IOR can be computational intensive.... especially having all that water with IOR next to the camera).

Up next is the night scene!

@Jason

I agree with you it is very clean, a little too much too. But I don't really want to model much anything else for it :lol:

I am going for that ultra modernism hard edge style that seems to be popular nowadays

Photoman

• Hash Fellow
Thanks!

I decided to do a sun timelapse!!

Here is a test:

Res_Pool_NoWater_AO_A_.mov

No water or reflections, 1pass 10%AO

More coming!

and I predict long render times ahead!

Photoman

That looks cool.

Why do the overhead struts move?

Thanks!

I decided to do a sun timelapse!!

Here is a test:

Res_Pool_NoWater_AO_A_.mov

No water or reflections, 1pass 10%AO

More coming!

and I predict long render times ahead!

Photoman

That looks cool.

Why do the overhead struts move?

They don't the camera is dollying back. I could make it even more confusing by adding one of those zoom perspective shots (Slowly zoom in as you dolly back).

As for now I am turning this into a short movie project.

View Here:

HERE

Photoman

• 11 months later...

Well, the short movie project was a bust. Never got my head wrapped around such long render times. The AO plus the reflections plus the refractions and everything was just too much.

After having that said, I want to render a 720p 10 second video of the timelapse of the sun. I plan on using a depth buffer to get a cheap SSAO pass in After FX. I will also DOF and film grain and whatever to make it more real.

I managed to adjust the scene so that the only objects with reflections are the water and the tiles next to it. All the other reflections are just environment maps. This dropped render times for a 720p frame from 30 minutes to 8 minutes, which is reasonable. The water also has no transparency or refraction.

The ambient light is actually a light probe of a mirrored sphere render of the scene at midday. There is no AO at all except in post.

I hope to have this rendered by the beginning of January.

Here is a quick 5 second DOF, SSAO, and grain test in AE:

Photoman

Here is another quick update.

I am in the process of optimizing render times. I managed to get to down around 8 minutes a frame, but with the lights I added it jumps to 32 minutes a frame. Debating on whether to keep them or not.

Anyway here is another post processed render:

post-11793-1293128930_thumb.jpg

Photoman

I started the rendering as of now! Based on my estimates, it should take around 56 hours to render the 240 frames.

In AE, each frame will take about 2-20 seconds to render with all the post work applied to it.

Ill keep updating as it renders.

Photoman

@Spleen

Thanks!

@new guy

Thank you for the comment. I only started 3D when I was 14, but got serious when I was 15. The best way to learn is by practice. For every project that I consider to be good there are at least 5 different ones that I consider bad.

UPDATE!

I know have half the footage rendered! Five whole seconds, took over thirty hours!! Frames rendered from 40 minutes to 10 minutes.

Here is a little test I made:

I know it goes by really fast, I am thinking of dropping the framerate from 24fps to 18~20, plus that would give it a more timelapsy effect.

Photoman

That's really nice Josh, but your highlights are getting blown out on the wall and it is pretty noticeable. Did you adjust the levels in After Effects or something? Or did the renders come out like that? If you render to exr with light buffers on, you can play with the lighting in A:M Composite without having to rerender. Just make sure that none of the lights are pure white or pure black. I don't think you can adjust the color of the lights if they are pure white or pure black.

@Robcat

Thanks! I plan on doing a more elaborate title for the final render. I am thinking about including a few other shots as well.

@thefreshestever

Thanks!

@HomeSlice

I clipped the blacks and whites in AFX. I am trying (trying being the optimum word) to simulate a really shallow dynamic range like transparency film (around 7-10 stops). Also the blooming is from the specular highlights turning into bokeh with the DOF plugin.

Been playing in After FX and made a quick breakdown reel of my post processing. Here it is:

I am thinking about adding a few more cameras and including a few more shots to make a 30-45 second short movie... It would be a major render job though!

Photoman

This is all gorgeous but you've got it going by way too fast. let us look at this stuff! The time lapse could be at least twice as long; this is a luxurious setting, the camera should linger on it a little. Same for the post demo, slower would be better.