Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Why this Knight model didn't work right.

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

This is the Knight model from the v13 disk. It's actually a v11.1 model

Knight.mdl

Drop it in a chor and move the hips up and down and you'll see the legs flicker and bend every way but the right way. It does that in both v13 and v15. Other v11 models work fine in current versions of A:M so the version it was made in is not the problem.

The only differences I can detect between it and the currently distributed Knight (a v12 model) is that some of constraints have very small offsets not present in the current version.

Why does it not work properly?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference I see between this model and the current knight model from the cd, is that there are rotation offsets in the orient like constraints on the thigh bones (IK setup). If you set the offsets to 0 in all the axis' in the offset, it works fine. You can also adjust the rotation of the thigh orient bones in the model window so they are more on a 45' angle.

• Hash Fellow
The difference I see between this model and the current knight model from the cd, is that there are rotation offsets in the orient like constraints on the thigh bones (IK setup). If you set the offsets to 0 in all the axis' in the offset, it works fine. You can also adjust the rotation of the thigh orient bones in the model window so they are more on a 45' angle.

Thanks. I had tried deleting those offsets thinking that would be the same as setting them to 0, since a constraint with no offset doesn't get offset keys.

But it seems offset values persist even after the offsets are deleted inthe PWS so the have to be zeroed manually.

I wonder why that is and I wonder why this model ever got distributed like this.

This may have something to do with the changes that were made to A:M for FK/IK switching. I'm not sure which version it was implemented in. The version of v13 released with the CD may have worked correctly with the model, but updated versions may not have.

It was apparently fixed it v12, but never made it to the v13 CD. Did the initial install of the v13 CD install v12? If it did, does it work in v12?

• Hash Fellow
Did the initial install of the v13 CD install v12? If it did, does it work in v12?

The disk installs "v12.0n+" (I now have 16 versions of A:M installed on my computer. A new record)

But that knight still doesn't work in that.

Scary to think how many people tried to do TAoA:M with that and got discouraged.

• 6 months later...

I'm just seeing this thread now but it was the wonky knees in the knight model that discouraged me from doing TAOA:M a couple of years ago. I tried the "It's a Pitch" exercise, got confused by the behavior of the knees and gave up. I read a short time ago that it was found and fixed, is that true?