Hash, Inc. Forums

Modifying LiteRig

Hutch

Hi Holmes. I really like your rig. I especially like the relative simplicity of it. I would like to ask about modifying the rig so that the modified version can be installed in several models without having to modify them all afterward.

What i would like is a simple modification I think. Since none of my characters really need any sort of stretching in the spine or neck (and I would rather avoid inadvertant distortions), I would like to replace the current spine with a simple fk spine. I would get rid of the torso and head translator nulls and make the spine, including the head, a chain of children attached to parent. I think then I would need a duplicate of the spine in the controls model except all of them with attached to parent off.

What I am not sure of is how I would then go about constraining the geometry spine to the control spine as you have done with the other control bones. It seems you are using expressions to do this? Also, would the install action be used to position the control spine bones the same as the geometry bones? Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Since all you want is a simple FK spine, you can just delete the Torso Translator and Head Translator, use the "Attach Bone" button to attach the head bone to the Torso bone and the Torso bone to the Lower Spine bone, and set the "Lock IK" property for the Head, and Torso bones (in the Model Properties) to ON. That should give you what you want.

You don't really have to mess with adding an extra layer of control bones for the spine unless you just want to.

There is only one relationship in the spine. It is in the Bones model > Show Lower Spine Relationships. The Lower Spine has a constraint to roll 50% like the Lower Hips bone and 50% like the Torso. As long as you are aware of that, you should be able to add whatever control structure you want to the spine without interfering with the existing constraints.

I didn't use any expressions in the rig, so you don't have to worry about those.