Hash, Inc. Forums

Screen capture Tutorial

Important

In the video tutorial I set the audio data rate too high, this increases file size. Set it to something like 32kbs but no lower than 20kbs.

Remember the more movement in your tutorial the higher you need to set the

frame rate. Dont set lower than 2 but there is really no need to go above 20 because of the large effects on file size.

You can push key frame settings up to every 7 or 8 seconds which will lower the file size as well but 5 seems to work well.

I like quality set to 50% rasing it is to much of a cost hit in file size. sometimes you can get away with 40% but thats only if you dont have much movement in the screen capture.

Enjoy

Screen_Capture_settings.mov

For people having trouble with the video above try this version below. I dont know why but some people can play the link above and others cant. I dont want to remove the top link because its better quality.

Screen_Capture_settings_h264.mov

This is something we all need to make a resolution to do in 2010...your tut was very helpful to show how easy it is.

Glad you liked it John

I would love it if you could create a tutorial on how you ccreated that commercial with the falling quarters. Mainly just focusing on the dynamics of it all.

In the movie Benjamin Button I think they do something like that with the logo and buttons. The buttons landed in what seamed randomly but formed the shape of the logo.

• 4 weeks later...
Screen_Capture_settings.mov

For people having trouble with the video above try this version below. I dont know why but some people can play the link above and others cant. I dont want to remove the top link because its better quality.

Screen_Capture_settings_h264.mov

FYI

I was able to watch the 2nd video because it is in a true QT movie format - The problem with the first movie - for winders people, is I believe, that (according to your tut) you record to mp4 format (flash? friendly) and then just change the extension of the file to .mov.

Unless I misunderstood, or do not understand but:

I believe you would have to run thru a conversion process, instead - either using qt pro - or some other software to export or convert to a different format - ie qt movie. Just changing the extension doesn't usually work for winders. Especially if embeded in the hash site.

Windows people don't have qt 10 - we've seen before in your other tuts that regardless of browser, qt player version, or os version for PC people, that your process as described is not reliable for many on this forum in producing a viewable movie that has been uploaded to hash site.

If you want to continue uploading .mp4 files to the hash forum with the extensions changed to mov - viewable by some, then my guess is that you will have to continue to also upload a converted qt version, as well, to be viewable by all.

I also note that your recording size of 1280 x 800 is too large for my normal old persons 1152 x 864 screen res. Hitting control 0, etc does not work for those qt movies that are uploaded to hash site (to reduce view size). I would have to first download and then view it in the standalone qt player.

The content and quality of your qt movie - the one I could view - was great. And certainly the video quality was better than a youtube posted version - but I have no problem (usually) with watching youtube quality tutorials.

Hey All,

I heard in the tutorial that you can not upload .mp4 files and have to rename them to get them to work. I added .mp4 to the upload list, if there is any needed and widely used formats let me know at support@hash.com and i will look into adding them. I'm also looking into a easy to bring videos from A:MFilms to here. Since right now the forums attachment folder is over 20gb and growing by the day.

Thanks,

Jason Simonds

Thanks for that info Nancy.

You should not need Quicktime 10. I dont use it often. I like quicktime 7 as I am on a PC when using AM.

The .mp4 movies with .mov extensions work fine on all of my 4 windows machines. Some running Vista some running Win 7. You are probably correct that I should always record to the H.264 codec as it seems to be more friendly to most viewers.

I am a firm believer in being progressive. Being a Camera operator I refuse to take jobs that are Standard Definition. Luckily not one client in 2009 requested standard def. I didnt spend $10,000.00 on an HD camera to record in SD.

With that said the solution for people in your position is to simply download the tutorial and use "cntrl 0" to shrink the video to half size. In my opinion you should be doing that anyway so you can add the file to your home library in case the site ever went down.

Please dont take my response the wrong way, I am sure its vary frustrating to be unable to view the tutorial. And I mean no disrespect.

I do have problems with most utube tutorials, aside from the lack of resolution I can not keep the video for my own library easily.

I plan to start an paid site for tutorials and those tutorials will be available to view by the lowest common denominator.

• Admin

Jason (Simonds),

We can probably do a lot to bring down that load on the server to a reasonable level.

Removing the top 20 percent of the largest attachment will likely drop the size of attachments by over 50%.

There are some files that have only been accessed once yet take up 90+MB.

Multiple versions of the exact same file account for a large part of the rest.

Chances are it is an IE thing. I've not had any problems accessing any of these tutes using Firefox on Windows. The other option, of course, is to simply download the tute and run it locally on QT. I do this for the good tutes so I can keep my own local copy. You should see the size of my tutes folders :)

Cheers