Hash, Inc. Forums

Deselecting control points

earthquake

Hi All

This is probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer. How do I deselect control points when rigging a model. I'm re-rigging the pink piggies hand, I needed the palm to face up. I turned the hand up and am trying to re-rig the hand. Some how when I selected the middle finger end bone and the nearby control points, most of the models control points were also selected.

Piggy_finger.jpg

Now I can't figure out how to keep the finger control points selected while deselecting the rest of the control points. I've looked through the TAOAM.pdf and the TECHREF.pdf files and can't find the answer. I'm sure it's probably easy, but it's driving me crazy. If you have the answer, please, any help will be greatly appreciated.

:(

Thanks

earthquake

CPs usually are assigned to a bone. So, you can just select a new bone and select the cps to assign them to it. There's no real reason to deselect them.

However, you can ""click in blank space" to select the model bone and then assign cps to it. That will turn the cps black and keep other bones from moving those cps.

• Hash Fellow
I'm re-rigging the pink piggies hand, I needed the palm to face up.

I'm not sure why you needed to turn the palm up in the model since you could do that when animating.

However, if you ever do need to move some mesh in the model and not leave the bones behind, you can select the bone in bones mode, turn on the Rotate, Scale or Translate manipulator and hold down the ctrl key while you use the manipulator. the mesh will move with that bone.

In Bones mode, if you select the CP's a second time, it deselects them.

Hope that helps.

Hi

I tried reselecting the CPs and it didn't release the CPs from the bone? I know you can do that in modeling mode, but it doesn't seem to work for me in bones mode.

Thanks

I'm re-rigging the pink piggies hand, I needed the palm to face up.

I'm not sure why you needed to turn the palm up in the model since you could do that when animating.

However, if you ever do need to move some mesh in the model and not leave the bones behind, you can select the bone in bones mode, turn on the Rotate, Scale or Translate manipulator and hold down the ctrl key while you use the manipulator. the mesh will move with that bone.

Hi

I tried rotating the hand in the animation and the sleeve looked like a twisted dishrag. I need the hand under a guitar and the fingers to work different than the original rigging.

BassPiggy01.jpg

I was selecting the CPs to be assigned to the bone and somehow a bunch of unrelated CPs were selected. When I curl the finger the hole model curls. I tried selecting another bone and going back to the problem bone and no change. I tried removing the bone from the others, but the detach bones tool isn't active. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

earthquake

• Hash Fellow
somehow a bunch of unrelated CPs were selected. When I curl the finger the hole model curls.

It's impossible to say what you did to get the wrong result without watching you or seeing it in action but the solution is simple... reassign the CPs that are not supposed to move with the finger to the bones they are supposed to be assigned to.

I save versions of my model frequently while I am working so I can easily back out of mistakes I make.

Another possible reason they are moving oddly is that you have a bone hierarchy mistake. Perhaps the finger bone has been accidentally made a parent of bones it should not be a parent of.

In Bones mode, if you select the CP's a second time, it deselects them.

Hope that helps.

Hi

I tried reselecting the CPs and it didn't release the CPs from the bone? I know you can do that in modeling mode, but it doesn't seem to work for me in bones mode.

Thanks

I should have said to have no bones selected when reselecting the CP's...Ken's instructions do that:

However, you can ""click in blank space" to select the model bone and then assign cps to it. That will turn the cps black and keep other bones from moving those cps.

somehow a bunch of unrelated CPs were selected. When I curl the finger the hole model curls.

It's impossible to say what you did to get the wrong result without watching you or seeing it in action but the solution is simple... reassign the CPs that are not supposed to move with the finger to the bones they are supposed to be assigned to.

I save versions of my model frequently while I am working so I can easily back out of mistakes I make.

Another possible reason they are moving oddly is that you have a bone hierarchy mistake. Perhaps the finger bone has been accidentally made a parent of bones it should not be a parent of.

Hi

I save often to, but not often enough, apparently. I checked and the bone and it is the end of the hierarchy. I can post the model if it will help.

Thanks