Hash, Inc. Forums

Fight Testing

Jaff

Hi everyone :D ,

I´ve a some time without posting work, but recently I had a little of free time and start to animate a Lucha Libre test, jaja , I´ll apreciate everyone´s help by telling me everykind of constructive crits so I can improve my animation the best as possible, I let you this and be rude :angry: .... mmm well :unsure: , not to much ... :P

Saludos from México. :lol:

Fight_testing.mov

• Hash Fellow

Wow, that's a lot of stuff going on! Good looking render!

My number one observation would be that when a body falls it's often falling at a steady speed or even slowing down just before it hits the floor, which is unnatural looking. Falling things always speed up as they fall until...WHACK... the ground stops them. Very tricky to get right with a multi limbed character like a human because their center of gravity is always shifting.

No criticisms from me, Jaff. It all looks very well choreographed, there is a feeling of weight all of the way through and I like the camera angles too. Of course the compression artifacts could be masking something but at it stands it looks great! :)

-----------------------

Edit: Okay. I found something. ;)

The dog tag, that the guy in the green t-shirt is wearing, is glued to his chest rather than swinging around. I know this is probably a conscious decision but I'm really struggling to find something to criticize. :D

Thank's a lot guys, I'll post my advantages as I go forward and I hope to get a right result, I'll work on that acceleration of the characters, the timming is one thing to work on, ....

Saludos from México.. :D

You've got the moves, but it all seems to be the same speed. Robcat's right about the falling and I think the actions should be a touch faster and the holds a few frames longer. This will help give the guys more of a sense of weight. Good job!

Totally awesome from start to finish, but in an effort to have some small critique, I would say that the action is too evenly paced and the falls too "regular". Something to "rattle" the flow would give it more realism, either some camera shake, or a character getting dazed by an extra-hard fall, something to break up the steady pacing. But if you were to leave this sequence as it is, it would be more than acceptable for a finished shot.

Interaction (like fighting) between two characters is one of the hardest things to animate well. You did a great job. I think the feeling of weight is missing sometimes (as others mentioned). And sometimes it feels like fake WWF fighting instead of "real" fighting. That may be due to the weight issue. There is one particular "hit" from the camo guy that looks like it is faked and doesn't really hit Lucho.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot guys for your comments, I'm about to post some new advances and this time I'll render it with a frame counter to make it easier for you to comment on my mistakes. I'm having a lot of fun with this shot and appreciate very much your opinions.... :lol:

OK - Part 1:

Overall the choreography looks great but the action looks staged and the movement is floaty. There is no anticipation and no follow through as the action races from one motion to the next.

Green shirt frames 13 - 29. He simply moves aside. He should put his weight to his left first before swinging right out of the way.

Mask guy frames 30 - 42. He needs to lean his left shoulder forward and down to anticipate the rotation to the right - without it, where does the momentum for that rotation come from?

Mask guy frames 42 - 55. There needs to be slow in and slow out on the rope bounce and when he does bounce out he has bent legs and he lands with the sam bent legs yet somehow has enought energy to jump and rotate - perhaps it was all in his toes :) He needs to come off the ropes, land and follow through down further then leap out.

Mask guy frames around 85. You need a little more follow through here. You can see it in the frame by frame analysis but it's just too quick in normal speed.

Mask guy frame 107. His weight is still far too far off to his right to be able to pull his hand off the floor and once he does get to his feet there is no follow through - no way anyone came come out of that type of motion and end up standuinbg like a statue.

Greeen shirt frames 125 -135. Look where the loop in the rope is compared to where it is being leant on.....

Mask guy frame 153. No anticipation. He just moves forward from a statue position.

The shoulder lift action. Not enough weight and follow through here. Green shirt drops once to take the weight but doesn't recover. When he takes the weight he and Mask guy will compress and stretch.

Greeen Shirt frame 228. Physically impossible. He needs to have bent forward and arc/arch a lot furhter back to flip mask guy and then the next action happens too early. It looks like green shirt is leading into the flip rather than being pulled into the flip.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Cheers