Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Modeling problems / Slow Response

birdie1

Hi

I'm right now working with a model and have encountered some problems, for example when I rotate my model AM runs very slow, lags. Same thing happens if I for example change the vertex positions or similar. I have checked if my CPU is overloaded or something similar but it is not, my model have around 4000 patches. What could be wrong? My PC is old but not very old, using Vista 32 bit, 2 GB RAM, AMD Athlon 2.6 GHz and a Radeon X1650. My graphic card is bad? Any suggestions of what graphic card is good for 3D animation/modeling?

//Birdie

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Can you show a wireframe of the model? 4000 is getting up there.

You can use the pageup/page down keys to adjust the tradeoff between smoothness and realtime response.

PageDown until you hear the bell for the fastest setting.

Two other things besides what Rob mentioned come to mind. First, if you have mirror mode enabled, that will slow things down - happy face with blue vertical hash button. Second, disable "show decals" when you are modeling - it's the red button with the white star on it, or simply press control "d".

Hi, thanks for all the answers.

So you guys dont think my system is not good enough? Dont have a wireframe of it right now :( but its not a very complicated/heavy model. What type of gfx card otherwise is optimal for this sort of things? I was thinking of upgrading my PC and maybe buy a GeForce GTX 285 1GB PhysX, or Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5, do you have any opinions of these graphic cards, what cards do you guys use?

//Birdie

Sounds like you already have the Hardware bug. Long ago when I first joined here, there were many discussions about hardware and AM speed. I seem to recall that a more expensive graphics card did not improve AM's performance over an average card. A faster system, sure, but not just a super dooper graphics card. It may be different now, but I don't think so. My card is a GeForce 7950 GT. I use it mainly to drive both of my 1920x1200 monitors.

But again, I think your problem lies elsewhere. Did you check the main problem areas we outlined for you above? If so, why don't you put your model in a zip file and post it here to see if anyone else can duplicate the issue and come up with a solution?

Eric

• Hash Fellow

My system is less than yours. Faster is always better, but I get by. A:M doesn't need extreme graphics cards. Your card is probably better than mine too.

But did any of the above suggestions improve your situation? PageUp/PageDown is a biggie.

Hi

Thanks alot for the answers, helped :), PageUp/PageDown worked and now less slow when modelling, what is it really doing? I mean, what is happening "under the hood", when pressing PageUp/PageDown? Also, just another question, how many patches is normally used in a regular model for example a car or a human?

Thanks for quick response!

//Birdie

There is no average patch count for models. Everyone has their own style and detail level of modeling. The more detail, the higher the patch count. Take a look at the models in your Library file to get an idea. Also, the better you get at modeling, the lower the patch count will get.

• Hash Fellow
what is happening "under the hood", when pressing PageUp/PageDown?

up/Down changes the number of subdivisions drawn for each patch. More subdivisions = smoother appearance = slower response

Load a sphere from the models/Primitives folder and watch it in shaded mode while you press page up/page down.

This only affects the real-time view. "Final" rendering always displays smooth patches.

• Admin

Don't forget that when animating this is where the use of Proxy Models can really help.

A Proxy Model is a stripped down version of that only has what is necessary.

For instance, a 20 patch object might be substituted for a 4000 patch house in the background.

A complex character might have the majority of its mesh stripped away. (keeping the rig for use by the animator)

Later, a quick switch back to the final Model will then have you rendering the correct things.

Use of Proxy Models can increase interface response time considerably.

This same concept can be applied to building complex models in stages.

A larger model can be broken into pieces and collected in a Choreography.

Where necessary, portions of the model not being worked on can turned off or have a Proxy Model substituted in its proper place.

Periodically you can Right Click and 'Save as Model' to save the combined model at that stage.