Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Grand Piano

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am modeling a grand piano to exercise my modeling skills.

Nothing fancy just a simple grand.

Pretty much done just needs a seat and set!

Grand_Piano_Clay_0.png

The aritfacts are from hooks, AO and hooks are not good friends.

8808 patches

Photoman

it is very well done . A black color and reflections will ( as you know ) add the realism on your model.

However , the piano is open . The strings and the mecanism have to be visible as well (not if it is a digital grand :).

Quit a task ! seeing the work you have done on the canon camera I know you can do this.

Keep on ! Good job !

I am modeling a grand piano to exercise my modeling skills.

Nothing fancy just a simple grand.

That's beautiful, wonderful! Your modeling skills are quite grand as well!

(will you be rigging each of the keys? and using expressions to read midi music and depress the keys appropriately? - hee hee)

Thanks everyone!

looks good!

AO shouldn't be a problem with hooks or AO would be a problem with almost every A:M model.

Check your normals and check for weird spline continuity.

I noticed that spot has a double five pointer that leads into a hook (Bad!) Im going to redo that area anyway (Needs a bevel).

I started on the soundboard (Insides) but got a little sloppy so I am going to fix some of that and add all the piano wires and whatnot.... (I can already imagine the patch count 88 keys at least one wire per key...)

post-11793-1260727442_thumb.png

Wires:

post-11793-1260727533_thumb.jpg

post-11793-1260727547_thumb.jpg

Photoman

Don't model each wire, use bump and transparency maps ... unless you're a masochist.

psst Holmes - masochist? this is the same lad who lives to do radiosity renders

1 wire = 4 patches (unless you're going to make them vibrate), 88= 352 patches - it's the hammers and felt and mechanisms and dust bunnies that's more the problem probably...

1wirenoMP0.jpg

Me masochist? Its *not* like I am going to render this at 100 megapixels or anything pssshhht...

But on a serious not... I dont mind patch count too much, plus as Nancy stated each wire is say 4 patches and dont forgot all the knobs and whatnot....

Remodeled the whole edge/curvey piece.

Old on top

post-11793-1260764219_thumb.jpg

On the old one the normals were all correct, it was the double five point patch that was odd...

post-11793-1260764200_thumb.png

1600x1200 25pass AO(45%) 5:30:55

My environment map is too small so thats why there is a pixelized reflection.

Photoman

I added a bench too, every piano needs one :) .

As for the wheels, most grand pianos have them but for the sake of the render I didnt want to add them. But Ill probably add them anyway now.

When finished Ill post on the old A:M eXchange.

I do believe the addition of the bench and the slight angle change of the camera took away the pixelated env map (its a 2000x1000 size map)

post-11793-1260822518_thumb.png

1600x1200 25pass AO(50%) 8;57;23

Did a little work on the guts, I think I am just going to leave it like that, I dont plan on doing detail shots in there.

post-11793-1260822661_thumb.jpg

Photoman

PS How do you edit the title of the topic?

I alway enjoy looking at your projects. I am always impressed.

I went skiing once. As I stumbled my way down the slope, there were these youngsters literally skiing circles around me.

Wonder what made me think of that story? :D

Keep it up, you are doing wonderful work.

It looks very good. Here is my two cents worth.

Either make the environment map blacker or something because the piano seems to be reflecting too much. It should be blacker. It looks too gray.

Also, I would lower the reflection on the keys. The white keys need to be whiter in my opinion and the black ones should be blacker.

Otherwise very nice.

Do you really want to model 200+ strings? (3 per note for most of the keys)

If it were me, I'd put in a plane and apply a picture of the strings as a decal. The decal would need to have alpha, so you could see the hammers below. There is no need to animate them; no matter how hard you hit them they don't move to a degree you can see, except way close up.

At the very least, I hope you'll use a decal on the copper-wound bass strings, instead of modeling coils. (shudder)

Im done! At least I am where I want to be with this project, I'll probably revisit it later on.

Final Image:

post-11793-1261149316_thumb.jpg

About 20 hours B) 6x6 36pass 3 softboxes (bulb lights on paths, each 3 rays) 2k resolution

I also rendered to OpenEXR, WOW soo many passes!! I opened it in AFX and there was a shadow, diffuse, and spec pass for each light, and for the reflecitons and so on!

I added it to the A:M eXchange too.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Photoman

Excellent looking piano Photoman.

Now, if you can only wire some TNT to one of the keys, have Wile E. Coyote watching from behind a rock as the Road Runner plucks out a tune with his beak only to miss that one key note! (I hope I'm not showing my age with this and that I am the only one who gets this :huh: )

Al