Hash, Inc. Forums

11 sec club December possibility

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
awwwww...he beat me to it...Can I get a ding? (terrific drawing)

EDIT: News Flash - he spelled his name wrong - doesn't count...Bernie Madoff - I win! I win! I win!

Ding-a-rooney!

I'm stunned that I drew something recognizable.

BTW, I'm really pleased with Alias Sketchbook for quick 2D doodling. Much better than Photoshop.

Here's a slight revision. Just a slightly different dash on the eyelid and the mouth seem to have improved things

caricature09.png

Now... how to translate this into 3D...

Robcat,

Those couple of strategic new pen strokes improved the caricature considerably. Is caricature drawing something new for you?

Robert, your artistic skills impress me only slightly less than your understanding of the fine points of animation, and both of those only just behind your grasp of all things A:M.

I always learn something from every one of your posts. Just thought I'd let you know.

Myron

• Hash Fellow
Is caricature drawing something new for you?

Yes, what you see here is my entire output. I only came to drawing about 10 years ago so it's all a struggle.

I was taking a drawing class then and one day the instructor showed us a video on how to do that fairground caricature-artist sort of thing.

I remember the guy started out saying "Caricature is NOT drawing a big head on a small body." And then he proceeded to make a bunch of drawings that looked very much like big heads on small bodies. :blink:

There were some "rules" to it, basically about trying to distill out the iconic features.

Robert, your artistic skills impress me only slightly less than your understanding of the fine points of animation, and both of those only just behind your grasp of all things A:M.

I always learn something from every one of your posts. Just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks!

• Hash Fellow

Just another sock test. This one is modeled more like a mitten with a thumb so the mouth has more visible corners.

Socktest3H.mov

XmasCard153.jpg

Christmas travel is going to take a big chunk of time off this project so it's looking a bit unlikely now.

Hey Rob- Great work here- I am trying your cylindrical method. 1 question...back in post #70 of this thread you have an image that I need to know how to make... you said "The resulting UV's look like this:" and there was your checkerboard art with the flattened lines of the face mapped upon it... HOW YOU DO DAT???

• Hash Fellow
Hey Rob- Great work here- I am trying your cylindrical method. 1 question...back in post #70 of this thread you have an image that I need to know how to make... you said "The resulting UV's look like this:" and there was your checkerboard art with the flattened lines of the face mapped upon it... HOW YOU DO DAT???

You mean how to see the UV view after you have applied the decal?

RMB on the red-white star>edit

mapedit.png

This shows you the UV placement for all the "stamps" that used that decal. If you just want to see one you can RMB on the particular stamp.

This is where you can move CPS around if any are overlapping. Just don't move the right or left edge of set.

You mean how to see the UV view after you have applied the decal?

RMB on the red-white star>edit

This is where you can move CPS around if any are overlapping. Just don't move the right or left edge of set.

Pearls. What do you mean by 'don't move right or left of set'? Do you mean don't move the CPs off the decal? AND- You mentioned(and I notice) that the cylindrical method of decalling seems to have a repeat value of 3. Can I change that to 1? And where would I do that...? (It's messin me up...)

I AM PAINTING DISPLACEMENTS IN AMPaint and IT'S KINDA COOL!

• Hash Fellow
NEVERMIND--- I found the repeat values... I was diggin in the wrong places.

The horizontal repeat should be 3. The vertical should be 1.

I'm not sure what the deal is with 3. I guess A:M needs to have an extra copy of the image on each side of the UV view to handle slop from meshes it can't split exactly down the back. Then it takes that triple image and stretches it around the model 3 times so it looks like there's just one instance of the map.

• Hash Fellow
What do you mean by 'don't move right or left of set'? Do you mean don't move the CPs off the decal?

When you look at the UV view you see you mesh flattened out on what looks like 3 copies of your image map. You'll notice the left and right edges of your mesh are at matching repeat points of that image. Don't move any CPs on the left or right edge of your mesh or you will mess up that perfect match. You shouldn't need to since the left and right edge make the back seam and that will be the least critical part of your painting.

you can move any CPs in the interior of your mesh, to undo overlaps, if needed or perhaps to give more bitmap area to some patch you know will need it.

This cylindrical technique is something I'm still exploring so more may be known later.

• Hash Fellow

Here it is, my last animation of the naughties. The elusive, never before achieved "Lambchop" pose:

socklambchopH.mov

I won't be entering anything in the 11 second club contest; too many missing elements not enough enthusiasm over the last two weeks.

But I did learn a bit more about cloth and 3DPainter along the way.

Happy New Year to All and may your next ten years be ten times better than the last!

• Hash Fellow
the sock is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks! Actually, I'm stunned too. :D

I've seen so many people here declare cloth to be hopeless that I woudln't have thought this possible a couple months ago. But I think simCloth may be very powerful if one has the patience to explore it.

Probably true of A:M in general.

• Hash Fellow

Making a simple hand for Punch.

I drew a sketch, then used "paths" in Photoshop to draw a vector out line around it. I exported that path to .AI format and imported that into A:M with the AI wizard.

The AI wizard extruded and beveled it for me. I'll paint on details like the palm creases, fingernails and gap between the fingers in AMPainter.

punchhandprogression.png

I can do this simple route because the hand doesn't need to be rigged. A hand puppet only has a rigid shape for a hand.