11 sec club December possibility

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
ummm a rag doll
that's getting warmer

Another part of this concept will depend on a recognizable caricature (3d modeled of course) of a famous person.

This is a study to try to distill out what it is that person IS. Trouble is, I'm not much of a caricaturist.

Does this look like anyone to anyone???

caricature02.png

(it is not Ted Kennedy )

update: not right guesses so far...

Armstrong, Lance

Bergen, Candace

Bergen, Edgar

Boyle, Susan

Bunny, Bugs (check those glasses, Nancy)

Carney, Art

Chaplin, Charlie

Chop, Lamb

Coraline

Gleason, Jackie

Grant, Cary

H., Martin

Hitchcock, Alfred

Lewis, Jerry

Lewis, Sherry

Martin, Dean

McCarthy, Charlie

Wilde, Oscar

Wilder, Gene

ummm a rag doll
that's getting warmer

Another part of this concept will depend on a recognizable caricature (3d modeled of course) of a famous person.

This is a study to try to distill out what it is that person IS. Trouble is, I'm not much of a caricaturist.

Does this look like anyone to anyone???

caricature02.png

(it is not Ted Kennedy )

Dean Martin?

• Hash Fellow

I should point out that Mr. Caricature has no known history of performing with sock puppets. This would be a new low in his career. That drawing also depicts him (I tell myself) at a much younger age than most of us who remember him at all would generally picture him.

Here's an overhead view of the set-up for the sock puppet cloth. The buttons are attached to splines on the cloth with path constraints but notice that they still don't track it very closely. That's a problem.

sockwire000H.mov

I'm impressed that this works at all, however.

Geeee-kneeee-us ! LOVE the sock puppet! Fabulous!

Ok so lemme seee...Sock puppet, eh?...how about is it Candace Bergen? ummm...no...I mean Edgar Bergen?....nope, ummm...Charlie Mc Carthy?....ummmm...no...nope....I got it! I got it!...Lamb Chop? ...ummmm...no...Shari Lewis? ....yup, must be Shari Lewis...

Wait...Wait! Jackie Gleason?

EDIT: ok ok - I see no connection to sock puppet...rats.

Charlie Chaplin?

Edited by NancyGormezano

• Hash Fellow
Have you tried using a single hair with a button image for each eye? It might track better...I haven't tried it though.

hmmm...that's a genius idea.

My number one challenge is to get the cloth tighter on the arm, so it looks like a sock puppet and not a pillow case puppet.

• Hash Fellow
You could also constrain the buttons to the hand after the animation is complete and the cloth has been simulated.

You could use a decal of the buttons while animating to see where they are.

Actually I did constrain the buttons after the cloth was simulated. It's possible that the spline serving as the path is stretching unevenly so that say, the 40% ease point is moving quite a bit, but that doesn't account for all the wandering motion the button is doing.

You could also constrain the buttons to the hand after the animation is complete and the cloth has been simulated.

You could use a decal of the buttons while animating to see where they are.

Actually I did constrain the buttons after the cloth was simulated. It's possible that the spline serving as the path is stretching unevenly so that say, the 40% ease point is moving quite a bit, but that doesn't account for all the wandering motion the button is doing.

If you make the spline for the buttons attached to the sock instead of one of the longer splines that make up the sock, it wouldn't be doing any stretching...it could be just a two point spline attached with a hook. It's worth trying.

• Hash Fellow

Slight improvement in non-bagginess.

sock2.mov

This one constrains the buttons to a spline that runs around the sock rather than lengthwise. This looks more stable. However now I can't get the path constraints to obey "Translate Only OFF". I f you look closely you can see they are not following the orientation of the sock.

I'm beginning to think I may just model and rig the sock puppet in a conventional manner. Cloth sim probably wont let me get the closed mouth poses I need. Cloth doesn't like being crowded.

• Hash Fellow
Could you just use simcloth on the part of the cloth that hangs down off the arm?

the tricky part is the transition from regular mesh to cloth. At some point on the arm, behind the wrist I guess, the cloth would start and you'd have an obvious point where a rigid set of CPs is next to some freely moving ones.

Could you just use simcloth on the part of the cloth that hangs down off the arm?

the tricky part is the transition from regular mesh to cloth. At some point on the arm, behind the wrist I guess, the cloth would start and you'd have an obvious point where a rigid set of CPs is next to some freely moving ones.

Why not two models? One with sim cloth for a long shot to show the flowing sock, and a second modeled with a "normal" manner for close ups for the mouth movements?

• Hash Fellow

Now in cross-eyed stereoscopic vision!

sock3DH.mov

Why not two models? One with sim cloth for a long shot to show the flowing sock, and a second modeled with a "normal" manner for close ups for the mouth movements?

That's possible. The shot is so brief (11 seconds!) that I'm not inclined to do cuts or close ups.

The actual animation (if it happens) wont' have a view quite like this test.

The actual animation (if it happens)

That would be a huge disappointment...This is such a great original idea.

Don't worry about the lip sync - just simple open, close, minimal shaping like a real sock puppet.

As for the other character in this animation (in my mind), it occurs to me you could take a hand model - then plop a silly simple finger puppet on one of the fingers, and have the sock puppet and finger puppet(s) fight, and bash each other ...a la "Punch and Judy". This dialog would work wonderfully with something like that. Could be quite funny.

FINGERPUPPET.jpg

• Hash Fellow
As for the other character in this animation (in my mind), it occurs to me you could take a hand model - then plop a silly simple finger puppet on one of the fingers, and have the sock puppet and finger puppet(s) fight, and bash each other ...a la "Punch and Judy". This dialog would work wonderfully with something like that. Could be quite funny.

That's actually the concept! Mr.Caricature would be the puppeteer in the middle.

I've been looking into modeling a "Punch" puppet with the two arms

punch.jpg

Is it Art Carney? the actor who played Ed Norton in the Honey Mooners?

Bzzzt! No, not Art Carney.

I'll add that to the list

not right guesses so far...

Armstrong, Lance

Bergen, Candace

Bergen, Edgar

Boyle, Susan

Bunny, Bugs (check those glasses, Nancy)

Carney, Art

Chaplin, Charlie

Chop, Lamb

Gleason, Jackie

Grant, Cary

Lewis, Jerry

Lewis, Sherry

Martin, Dean

McCarthy, Charlie

Wilde, Oscar

Wilder, Gene

• Hash Fellow
It's the family guy................no wait...............Martin H.?

Nope, nope. Here's a clue:

"He was a famous citizen. I thought his identity would be beyond the shadow of a doubt!"

moving along... since Nancy blew my cover on the Punch Puppet I guess I'll start making him.

Here's my research...

56093_punch_lg.gifPunch.jpg

v0_master.jpg

punchDM1205_468x614.jpg

(The last guy just about has it modeled for me.)

So... next I try to distill those down to side and front rotoscope views:

PunchRotoSmall.jpg

• Hash Fellow

back to the sock for a moment, here's my best success so far with tighter cloth.

The cloth is riding pretty tight on the hand form without blowing up the simulation. No pass thrus either.

sockTighter3DH.mov

I was also able to close the mouth a bit more here.

When cloth gets caught between two deflectors with no room to spare beyond the collision tolerance, that's when things start flying all over the place

But this cloth is working so well it's tempting to think you could make a few rough forms for the body of your character, throw a shirt and pants on him and ... no more CP weighting!

back to the sock for a moment, here's my best success so far with tighter cloth.

The cloth is riding pretty tight on the hand form without blowing up the simulation. No pass thrus either.

sockTighter3DH.mov

I was also able to close the mouth a bit more here.

When cloth gets caught between two deflectors with no room to spare beyond the collision tolerance, that's when things start flying all over the place

But this cloth is working so well it's tempting to think you could make a few rough forms for the body of your character, throw a shirt and pants on him and ... no more CP weighting!

Looks very photo real

• Hash Fellow
The buttons are working really well. How did you fix them?

They are constrained to a spline that goes around the sock rather than along the length. Less stretching I guess.

Back to Punch now...

I import my roto drawings into A:M and align them in front and side views.

PunchScreen01_rotos_placed.png

I grayed the white background of my rotos in Photoshop so I'd be able to see the white spline lines on them.

This is the profile spline down the center of the head. I'm just trying to hit the major peaks and valleys. I might need to stitch more CPs in for detail later, but for now I try to do as few as possible.

PunchScreen02_profilespline.png

Some of the shapes, like the top of the head, the nose and the peculiar chin could be made quickly with lathe shapes so what I'll do is copy a portion of the profile spline, lathe it, and move those into place.

PunchScreen03_lathe_replacements.png

Here the nose and chin have been lathed, moved into place and bent into shape:

PunchScreen04_lathe_replacements2.png