Hash, Inc. Forums

CPU Render Benchmark

robcat2075

i wasn´t arguing, just asking ;)

i often heard that argument regarding freedom, and i never understood what in particular was meant, so i asked.

for me it´s all about how well a machine works for my purposes and how it feels when i´m working with it. i guess it´s just a matter of taste and the way of thinking.

i often notice that when it comes to this argument, people make somewhat false statements... maybe not false, but exaggerated.

sure you don´t have to reboot your windows pc several times a day, but maybe more often than a mac. i reboot my macs more often than every few weeks, because the get slower, too (if you do a lot of video editing for instance). on the other hand i do have a lot of old AND new software, and i´m not on the latest OS. so you´re exaggerating, too... ;)

most programmers and gamers are pro windows, most designers pro mac... guess why... ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Tablet Microsoft Surface Pro

Windows 8 64 bits

A:M v18 beta 1

render time = 3'15"

pretty fast for my eyes...

Tablet - Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (128gb - 4gb RAM) (Note the 256gb version and above have 8gb RAM)

Windows 8.1 64 bits

A:M v17g

render time = 3' 47"

I wonder if the v18 beta renders faster or your tablet has more RAM? I do find it interesting that it renders 30" quicker than my 18" i7 Qosmio Laptop.....

Cheers

• Admin

I'll add my system into the mix:

A:M v17g 32bit

Render time: 4:33

Update: With most other programs turned off render time dropped to 4:05. :)

Intel Pentium CPU G2020@2.90GHZ

1 core

4GB memory (3.88 useable)

Win 8

With less than 4GB of memory I was surprised to see it render that fast.

As I don't consider this a fast computer I'm pleased with that result.

I had quite a number of other programs running while rendering so I suppose I should close all of those and try again with 64bit.

I need to update to Win8.1 too... and sure wish I had Steffen's 32GB of memory!

Just to add another Macs' info for comparison.

3:08

iMac Core i5 (Late 2012) 21.5"

2.7 GHz Intel

6 MB shared level 3 cache,

8 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M / 512 MB GDDR5 Mem

I followed RobCats' guidelines from the first post

and it does seem like a pretty good time.

teapots.png

• Hash Fellow
Tablet - Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (128gb - 4gb RAM) (Note the 256gb version and above have 8gb RAM)

Windows 8.1 64 bits

A:M v17g

render time = 3' 47"

I'm impressed that a tablet is doing that well. Looks like a real computer there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

On my new MacBook Pro Laptop

v18

2:15

MacBook Pro

2.6 ghz Intel i7

RAM 16gb 1600mhz DDR3

OSX Maverick 10.9.1

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2gb RAM

1Tb SSD

PS - I have Parallels and Win 8 also running on this MacBook - not sure how many resources OSX has access to with Parallels installed! Note that this test was not run in Windows but in OSX.

• 2 weeks later...
  • *A:M User*

I remember hearing somewhere (perhaps in a post from Martin himself) that AM works better on AMD cpus (would be interesting to know the technical reason for this, is there some enhanced instruction set AMD is using that Intel isn't?). What is the performance difference? If it is in the neighborhood of 15-20%, that; along with the much cheaper per core cost, might make it worth considering AMD cpus for a renderbox.

Anyway, if anyone knows, I'd be interested in getting a confirmation.

• Hash Fellow
I remember hearing somewhere (perhaps in a post from Martin himself) that AM works better on AMD cpus (would be interesting to know the technical reason for this, is there some enhanced instruction set AMD is using that Intel isn't?). What is the performance difference? If it is in the neighborhood of 15-20%, that; along with the much cheaper per core cost, might make it worth considering AMD cpus for a renderbox.

I doubt that is true anymore. The CPUs are quite different now and A:M is coded to take advantage of them now.

On a straight comparison of equal CPU speeds the intels are doing better.

Making a cost/benefit comparison is a bit more complicated.

I doubt that is true anymore. The CPUs are quite different now and A:M is coded to take advantage of them now.

On a straight comparison of equal CPU speeds the intels are doing better.

Making a cost/benefit comparison is a bit more complicated.

It would be interesting to see what AMD has with its new Trinity-APUs which seem to be quite fast (they were released today, so no good benchmarks are available for now) and it could be very interesting with the new huma-interface and stuff like that. Currently an AMD system cannot compete with the fastest Intel-Chips (which are much more expensive). The "AMD is faster than Intel for A:M" statement was true till about A:M v15/16 (keep in mind: if a Intel CPU is 15% faster than an AMD-CPU it was on par with AMDs performance). After that, Steffen used a new compiler which was specially optimised for Intel and the performance boost for AMD did go away, since the compiler is one from Intel.

Still you can get a very good system for MULTICORE applications OR netrenderer with AMDs FX CPUs for a quite low price, but the intels are faster if you are not looking at the money.

Currently it is more interesting to see what the APUs from AMD are doing. The APUs from AMD are much better (based on GPU-performance) than anything Intel has to offer at an equal or quite a bit more expensive level in the fake-APU-area, especially with the new APUs from AMD. CPU-based, AMDs APUs are not that good than Intel CPUs / GPUs-combinations (real APUs are a little different, but it is more or less the same for the customer) but the combined performance is better.

AMD's APUs are especially well suited for low- and mid-level-gaming-systems and are for instance used in the PS4 or Xbox One. For rendering we will see how they will do.

If A:M would someday in future receive a huMA optimation (enabling the computer to use GPU and CPU at the same time for any task needed), they very likely will outperform classical CPUs by far, but we will see what will happen there.

See you

*Fuchur*

• 1 month later...

New Asus T100 tablet. Dual core Atoms at 1.8 ghz each. 2 gig of ram. Integrated Graphics by intel.

Both renders set to defaults, although output size was changed. 57 seconds each. Default chor settings. Bitmap textures with normal maps.

robby_tooned0.jpg

Robby0.jpg

New Asus T100 tablet. Dual core Atoms at 1.8 ghz each. 2 gig of ram. Integrated Graphics by intel.

Have you tried the Benchmark project located here in the first post?

Then we would have a better understanding of your new computers performance relative to other computers, and versions of A:M

Cute character!

• 2 months later...

I bought a new computer last week - afraid as I was windows xp not beeing supported any more - and installed the latest version of A.M. on it today.

Intel i7-4770k cpu 3.50 ghz.

16 gb. of ram

Windows 7 premium 64 bit

Geforce gtx 750 Ti 2 gb.

A.M. 18.0 64 bit

Result , 01:29 !

benchmark.jpg

Very impressive !

• Hash Fellow
I bought a new computer last week - afraid as I was windows xp not beeing supported any more - and installed the latest version of A.M. on it today.

16 gb. of ram

Windows 7 premium 64 bit

Geforce gtx 750 Ti 2 gb.

A.M. 18.0 64 bit

benchmark.jpg

Very impressive !

That is fabulous. When I started this benchmark the computer I had could manage it in 19 minutes, now mine can do it in about 4-5 minutes.

But 89 seconds... that is impressive.

16 gb. of ram

Windows 7 premium 64 bit

Geforce gtx 750 Ti 2 gb.

A.M. 18.0 64 bit

benchmark.jpg

Very impressive !

That is fabulous. When I started this benchmark the computer I had could manage it in 19 minutes, now mine can do it in about 4-5 minutes.

But 89 seconds... that is impressive.

Well the computer i used until one week ago did it also in 19 minutes and some seconds

I did not matter for me because i am patient and rendered frames overnight when I was a sleep.

In the morning frames were ready and I was as a child curious about santa's gifts to watch them.

I have replaced the old beloved one with a more expensive one and then its easy to get those results when you spend a lot of money. I spend it because it is the right moment - xp not beeing suported anymore- to go for some new hardware to replace my 8 year old computer.The fact that I am going to retire in 7 months and that I am goingl back to art shool and my devotion to A.M. speeded up my decision. And I am amazed about the results.

My first rendering I have made was in 1989. As far as I remember it was called "sculpt 3d". It was done on a Amiga 500. Complicated program, so I rendered a existing model from the library , a verry simple coffee cup.

The amiga needed more then 24 hours to render it !200 x 300 pixels , something like that. And yes , I was amazed !!!!

At that time there was a demo circulating, calling "the juggler movie" demonstrating amiga's capability's to do graphic work. I think I can make a remake of that in one hour. :) in A.M.

• Hash Fellow
My first rendering I have made was in 1989. As far as I remember it was called "sculpt 3d". It was done on a Amiga 500. Complicated program, so I rendered a existing model from the library , a verry simple coffee cup.

The amiga needed more then 24 hours to render it !200 x 300 pixels , something like that. And yes , I was amazed !!!!

At that time there was a demo circulating, calling "the juggler movie" demonstrating amiga's capability's to do graphic work. I think I can make a remake of that in one hour. :) in A.M.

Yup, Sculpt3D was my first 3D program, also on the AMIGA.

I recall rendering anything with shadows was painfully slow. You could watch the image form one line at a time and it was like it would snag and stop on every shadow.

After three years I had about 60 seconds of spinning things rendered and made this video out of them...

6IiUwVFV2lY

Yup, Sculpt3D was my first 3D program, also on the AMIGA.

I recall rendering anything with shadows was painfully slow. You could watch the image form one line at a time and it was like it would snag and stop on every shadow.

After three years I had about 60 seconds of spinning things rendered and made this video out of them...

6IiUwVFV2lY

three years ?! You are really patient and devoted ! Things that in filmmaking in animation are required. Have a long and healthy live !!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
CPU, ram and video card benchmarks charts:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net

Thought this might be handy for anyone looking at new machines or are interested in how their systems compare.

Matter of fact.....not sure where to post this..been awhile since I've been active here but still pretty serious about my AM....finally broke down and became a lifetime member.Still have my playmation floppies!!!

Been looking at upgrading my machine and spent alot of time on that cpubenchmark website.It all looks pretty simple until you start digging deeper.AMD or INTEL???...me I'm an INTEL guy...then you get.....lga 1155...lga 1150....lga2011????...i7??? i5???....Xeon E5...E3???? then you look deeper and it's motherboards!!!! Do you need PCI Express 3.0 because your video card may play a major part in you rendering performance(saw an article from 1 of the PC forums online that said that???????)and then.....RAM!!!!Some of the new boards will run up to 64G....do I need that?????My 1st computer that I ran Playmation on had 4mg and some of the frames I rendered took 10 or 11 hours.Then if you go with the newer video cards be ready for a new minimum 600w power supply with 1 6 pin and 1 8 pin connector....oh...don't forget CPU water cooling if you overclock.....AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anyhow just my thoughts about it......LOLbackbone_patching.jpg

• Hash Fellow
.AMD or INTEL???...me I'm an INTEL guy

Currently, I'm thinking an Intel i7-4770k is a good better-performance but not absurdly-expensive choice.

Do you need PCI Express 3.0 because your video card may play a major part in you rendering performance(saw an article from 1 of the PC forums online that said that???????)

A:M doesn't make huge video card demands. Most of the rendering is in the CPU although the ScreenSpace Ambient Occlusion(SSAO) effect added in V18 is done by the video card.

You DO want an AMD or NVidia video card and not the Intel graphics that are built into the CPU.

• 2 months later...

Well very disappointed.

I updated my computer with the new Mac pro 6 core xeon 12 with hyper threading 3.5GHZ

16GB ram

2 D500 AMD GPUs

500GB PCIE SSD Drive

Results

On osx version 18f 2:28

Windows 8.1

2:18 for the teapot bench test.

I was expecting more like 30 seconds.

PC205704-mac-pro-2013--820x420.jpg

1:35

Who is faster :P

i7-4770

32gb memory

gtx660

V18 alpha3 (but the speed hit is coming from the cpu , not from the version , with V17g nearly the same time)

attachicon.gifscreen.jpg

Your I7 beat my Xeon 3.5GHZ mac pro. I thought Xeons were much faster than any I7. Guess I was wrong.

The choice of i7 v Xeon in Macs is not as obvious as it may seem sadly.
In numerous reviews it has been noted that for single core process a 4 core 3.5 GHz i7 is quicker than a 6 core 3.5GHz Xeon.

The Xeons that are in the current Mac Pros are based on an older architecture than the current i7 in a top end iMac. This is because the Xeons have a longer development/testing phase than i7's do so take longer to get to market. Xeons are considered processors suitable for mission critical systems and therefor need to be more reliable under heavy load in the long run.

I would try the test again but use Netrender and render out a minimum of 10 frames, the more the better and then compere new computer with old. This will get all your cores to work and is where your new Mac Pro should start to shine, doing long render sessions.

If you have a Windows partition on the new Mac, the Windows version of A:M should render quicker than the Mac version which is only a 32bit app still.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

wow

AM bench test results. 2013 mac pro trashcan

Same system but booted into windows 10 (not emulated) AM 19j win version render time 2:00  min even.

Same system but booted into mac using parallels running win 10 Am win version 19j render time 2:04 seconds

Conclusion Emulation is basically as good as booting into windows on a mac with a dual boot machine.

In the passed when using am I generally liked to boot into windows because at that point its a real pc with no compromises running AM, and it's taking advantage of the full power of the system. But the downside is that I'm locked out of my mac while rendering something, meaning I can't answer my mac mail and do my everyday mac related tasks while rendering booted into windows.

Now with these parallels AM bench test results showing almost no performance slow down I have eliminated this issue having my cake and eating it too. Well with 1 downside, If I want to render an animation I need all the cores and threads which  in parallels are decided up between the mac and the windows, but if its just 1 frame no issues.

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 2.21.38 PM.png

• Hash Fellow

That is very good.

I don't know about running it from the mac side but on my PC I get faster benchmark times if I run several instances of A:M (number of cores - 1) and send them all rendering simultaneously. Just one instance of A:M wasn't enough to get Windows to throttle the CPU up to full speed.