Hash, Inc. Forums

First pass at Exercise 4

Hi everyone,

Okay, here's my first pass at exercise 4, It's a Pitch. The timing suggested by the book seems too quick to me, so I may adjust the key frames a little bit. I also had to flatten the tangents a couple of times on the feet targets because they sank below the ground a few times. Otherwise, it was a fun exercise!

KnightPitch.mov

• Hash Fellow
Okay, here's my first pass at exercise 4, It's a Pitch. The timing suggested by the book seems too quick to me, so I may adjust the key frames a little bit.

It does look quick. The throw looks about right, maybe the part after he releases the ball would be slower. But you got the essential lesson going fine.

The start is quite good and the arms work pretty well throughout but the footwork bothers me a little. Usually the push foot (right one for right hand throw) steps forward after the throw so that the right arm and right foot end up closer to the target than the left. Your footwork was closer to something like a shot put where the "puter" can't step beyond the line. No such requirement for throwing a baseball.

Really good start.

The start is quite good and the arms work pretty well throughout but the footwork bothers me a little. Usually the push foot (right one for right hand throw) steps forward after the throw so that the right arm and right foot end up closer to the target than the left. Your footwork was closer to something like a shot put where the "puter" can't step beyond the line. No such requirement for throwing a baseball.

Really good start.

Yeah, the footwork definitely needs work. Also, the timing needs to be slowed down a bit. The entire action takes a little over a second, which is too fast. I'll try to clean things up a bit. Thanks!

-Sean

• Hash Fellow

That's good. The whole point of this ex is to get you posing and keyframing and getting some motion on the character. Which you have done successfully!

Before you do "The door is stuck" I recommend you watch my "Keyframing Options" video in the tuts link in my sig.

Your footwork was closer to something like a shot put where the "puter" can't step beyond the line. No such requirement for throwing a baseball.

I wonder... IS there a rule in baseball that the pitcher has to be on the mound?