Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rendering question

tchamberlain2

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A better graphics card won't speed up rendering at this time. Maybe one day we will be able to use the graphics card to help with some aspects of rendering, but that probably won't be for a few years.

A better graphics card will help speed up your real-time views though.

More RAM can help speed up rendering if you have many image textures and a lot of models and stuff in a scene. Anything that cannot be stored in memory gets written to (and read from) virtual memory which is the hard drive. This is much much slower than reading/writing to/from RAM.

A better graphics card won't speed up rendering at this time. Maybe one day we will be able to use the graphics card to help with some aspects of rendering, but that probably won't be for a few years.

A better graphics card will help speed up your real-time views though.

More RAM can help speed up rendering if you have many image textures and a lot of models and stuff in a scene. Anything that cannot be stored in memory gets written to (and read from) virtual memory which is the hard drive. This is much much slower than reading/writing to/from RAM.

Thanks!

How much ram do you have now?

What's the most your mother board will take?

I Believe it is 615mb or 600 and something mb. I believe the limit line to what I can add is 2 gigs. I also wonderd if I just bought a new pc with 3 gigs for christmas would there be a major change in the render speed or would I just be wasting money?

• Hash Fellow
I Believe it is 615mb or 600 and something mb.

That's a weird amount of RAM to have. It tends to come in in .5, 1, 2, 4... gigabyte increments

On the PC Start>Programs>accessories>system tools>system information will tell you "Total Physical Memory" and lots of other stuff.