Hash, Inc. Forums

Banned in Germany

TheSpleen

What are YouTube rules about copyright music? I've wanted to put some videos and animations up that use pop tunes but held back because of copyright rules, but I see unauthorized use up there all the time. Do they enforce it? Or only if someone complains?

Google pays a licensing fee to cover all of the music that's used on YouTube. However, different countries have different organizations that cover music licensing. A quick Google search shows that talks between Google and the German music collection broke down in April. I don't know if they had an extension or it's just taken until now for you to be notified.

YouTube now have a feature called "Swap Audio" which allows you to choose a soundtrack from a library of music which they provide. There is a wide variety of music to choose from and some of them are very good quality, though many are not so good midi convertions. The only problem from a movie maker's perspective is that you can't download the music and build it into your work. You just select a piece of music from the library and YouTube overwrites the audio on your movie with the tune you selected. Not ideal but better than nothing. Okay for some showreels and WIPs.

What are YouTube rules about copyright music? I've wanted to put some videos and animations up that use pop tunes but held back because of copyright rules, but I see unauthorized use up there all the time. Do they enforce it? Or only if someone complains?

Well some songs they put ads up for the mp3.

Like this one.

My Alice Cooper video they removed my soundtrack,

so it depends on the complaint I guess.

I cant watch it... quite odd so that it is available in France for example (if it is).

Any nazi-symbols in there? In germany it is not allowed to draw such symbols (like the hakenkreuz) which seems to be okay in America (at least if I watch American History X)?

*Fuchur*

I cant watch it... quite odd so that it is available in France for example (if it is).

Any nazi-symbols in there? In germany it is not allowed to draw such symbols (like the hakenkreuz) which seems to be okay in America (at least if I watch American History X)?

*Fuchur*

nothing even remotely "Nazi"