Hash, Inc. Forums

Constraints in Models?

GruberR

Hi!

I put this in the newbie section because it seems an RTFM question, but I couldn't find an answer in that FM...

Here's my problem: I created a little character model, added bones to it (created a bone hierarchy even) assigned CPs (weighted even) and would be all set to animate. BUT: I would really like to have the bones constraint to certain movement ranges. According to the manual, the spherical constraint seems to be what I need. And here's where I'm stuck. It seems that I can only add constraints to a pose or an action... not the rig (bones) in general. At least I couldn't find any info an that. Thing is I don't want to create any specific poses and or actions for that model. It's sort of an animate once thing but without any constraints even bone based animation is *hard*...

Am I missing something here? If so, what???

• Hash Fellow
Am I missing something here? If so, what???

In addition to what Mark said, I'll just inquire why you want a spherical constraint? You're probably thinking you need that for a knee or an elbow but proper character rigs almost never need such a thing.

If you're just making a rig by putting some skeleton bones in your character you will be making animating it 100 X harder than it needs to be and be unhappy with the result.

There are some easy to install rigs in the rigging forum. Have you tried those? Is there a reason not to use them?

In addition to what Mark said, I'll just inquire why you want a spherical constraint? You're probably thinking you need that for a knee or an elbow but proper character rigs almost never need such a thing.

If you're just making a rig by putting some skeleton bones in your character you will be making animating it 100 X harder than it needs to be and be unhappy with the result.

There are some easy to install rigs in the rigging forum. Have you tried those? Is there a reason not to use them?

Well, mostly the unique anatomy requirements for the character. I don't really want to go into a whole lot of details here, but if you mean "proper rig" as in "reusable" and "automatically balanced": that I don't need in this case. Just a few quick constraints so that IK doesn't mess up the bones on every little animation is enough in this case. It's not a feature length animaton anyway, just some unique poses with in-between aimation so no need for reuseable stuff anyway :)

Still, if there's an easy way of building joints without spherical constraints I'd be happy to know.

Besides, I better understand software by trying something "the hard way" first. So I *know* what's easier or harder the "common way" and can help myself with minor issues becuase I understand what's happening then (I hope) :rolleyes:

Mark: Thanks, I didn't make the connection to the "on/off" pose, that works!

• Hash Fellow
but if you mean "proper rig" as in "reusable" and "automatically balanced": that I don't need in this case.

no.

Just a few quick constraints so that IK doesn't mess up the bones on every little animation is enough in this case.

This does sound like something isn't being done in the more advantageous way. I'm still doubtful about the need of a spherical constraint.

But without seeing it, I'll stop there. ;)

The spherical constraint is confusing and hard to understand. I don't know of anyone who uses them anymore. In almost all cases, you can use a Euler Constraint instead. Euler Constraints are much easier to wrap your head around.

As mtpeak2 said, make a new Action or Pose (I would recommend an ON/OFF Pose for constraints). Assign your constraints in the Pose. Make sure you do not have any bone movement,rotation or scale channels in the pose. Then, in the Model's |User Properties| (not the pose slider window), turn the Pose ON. This will set the pose's default state to ON so you do not have to turn it ON every time you want to animate with it in a new chor or action.

First off, use Euler Limits, not Spherical ones. Spherical constraints will not animate properly for what you're doing.

Now, go to Skeletal Mode. Right Click > New > Pose > On/Off.

From within that pose, find each bone you'd like to add constraints to. Right Click > New Constraint > Euler Limits. Enter the values you want, some experimentation will probably be needed.

Rinse and repeat for each bone you'd like to have constraints.

When you're done, click on your model in the project workspace. Look at the properties tab, you should see "User Properties." Click your new pose, hit F2 to rename it something like "Constraints." You can also have it turn on by default here, click the "-not set-" next to it so it says "On." You can still turn it off if you want, but now every time you put the model in an action or choreography, it will have the constraints turned on. See attachment for an example of the User Properties tab with a series of poses.

edit: I see homeslice answered your question too, lol

Animation_MasterScreenSnapz015.jpg